Zotero experienced an error updating your document. this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is

I keep getting this error message when cutting and pasting from another Word document. Once this happens, I can't insert any citations, which effectively ruins the document. I am using Zotero Standalone on a Macbook Pro with MacOS High Sierra.

I suspect the problem is that there is a conflict between the citations in the old and new documents. If so, it would be great to be able to identify the broken citation so that I can just delete it, rather than reverting back to older versions of the paper and reentering all the changes without the citations, which is a huge amount of work. Please help!
  • Chickest way to find out is probably https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

We'd be interested in seeing the broken citation though (the message suggests a Zotero bug), so if you're able to identify a short portion of the document with this broken, please send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Thanks for your quick response! I think it was a bug since I was unable to isolate a broken citation (and, believe me, I tried by deleting the 30-page document section by section). The good news is that two of the debugging solutions appear to have worked: (1) pasting the entire document into a new file with a new style; and (2) in the original document, selecting a different style and then changing it back, although any new citations now have a dotted line under them until I do a refresh.

This problem occurs fairly often, so it would be great if Zotero could find a more permanent solution.
  • The developers will need steps to reproduce it in order to fix it. If you can identify steps that reliably trigger the error for you, please report back.
  • @chicaeclectica Oops, I may have misinterpreted the final sentence of your note above.
    This problem occurs fairly often, so it would be great if Zotero could find a more permanent solution.
    Rereading, I think you might have been referring to the appearance and behavior of underlined citations:
    ... any new citations now have a dotted line under them until I do a refresh.
    If so, that's a feature. (You will have opted into it for the affected document, and you can opt back out by restoring the original setting.)