How do I use Zotero for footnotes? (Not citations in text)

I cannot find the footnote function in my zotero? I saw a youtube video that I am supposed to be able to choose either citation OR footnote in Zotero, but I only get citation option. If I place the citation as a footnote, I'll have to go back and edit ALL my footnotes for formatting, which is what Zotero is supposed to do for you. I just downloaded Zotero a month ago, I have a Mac. Where do I us it for FOOTNOTES for my 80-100 page thesis???.
  • You need to choose a footnote based citation style (like Chicago Manual of Style 17th Edition (note)) in the Document Preferences which you can find in the Zotero toolbar/tab in Word.
  • Citation styles that use footnotes insert footnotes automatically. Try e.g. Chicago (Full note) among those that come pre-installed
  • Hi and thank you. I notice those leave very long footnotes. What I need for my university is just a simple Author (year), Pg. ## footnote - not the whole title etc for every single book over and over again.

Is there not an existing style that does this in a footnote? I saw on the forum just now several posts with people asking for a style that does just that and people answering with very long reprogramming jibberish about how to reprogram your own style to do that. I am not technical at all and that seems VERY intimidating to me and I thought Zotero was supposed to make the whole process easier technically, not make me do coding.

IS THERE AN EXISTING STYLE THAT JUST HAS A SIMPLE AUTHOR, YEAR, PAGE # FOOTNOTE??

Thank you,
    Shanti
  • What style specifically are you looking for? Does it have a name? Are you writing for a specific journal or university? Is there a style guide posted somewhere?
  • Yes, as bwiernik says, there are any number of ways such styles can differ, but e.g. World Politics: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:world-politcs
    or International Organization: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:international-organization

are author-year styles in footnotes
  • Thank you adamsmith! My question was simply what is an existing style that has author, year and page number as a footnote - and those two styles both work and I chose to go with the international organization style! That works and does what I need it to do! THANK YOU!!
    Shanti