PDF not downloaded on ScienceDirect

edited March 15, 2018
Hi! I am not sure when this started, but I can no longer download the pdf together with the reference. I checked the option in Preferences, and it is OK. I read a closed thread about it and it states that I can try to disable the proxy. How do I do that?
  • What URL specifically? On the page, can you access the PDF manually?
  • It is with all the papers, I use science direct. For example: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1750583615300712

Yes, I can access the PDF. I started downloading the pdf manually every time and attaching it to the reference in Zotero, but it makes no sense to do that if it is something easy to fix. I also have the latest Zotero version.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for a save that doesn't attach the PDF?
  • Here you are: D288105491
  • Oh, it looks like you're importing using RIS interception. That has never saved the PDF and isn't what you want to use on a supported site. Just use the "Save to Zotero" button.
  • Where is the Zotero button? You mean on the website when I press Export?
    There, I get two options: Save to Mendeley and Save to Refworks.
  • Ok, I saw it! It works perfectly, thank you.
  • I have a similar problem with ScienceDirect : clicking on Save to Zotero within Safari does not work well : it says something about embedded metadata and an error.
    What works : it fills title, short title, year, volume...
    What fails : it does not fills author name (most annoying) and does not download the PDF
    Debug ID : 1667023883
    example paper (subscription needed I guess, but I do not think that I need a proxy and I can download the file manually) - many other papers if not all are also concerned : https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1361920916304539
  • I can reproduce that on that page. Someone will take a look. (ScienceDirect has a lot of different pages that behave differently, so this wouldn't be a general problem.)
  • Works perfectly for me, both author and PDF are imported, so a bit hard to say what's going on.
  • It's working for me in Firefox but failing in Safari with some weird errors, so if @adomasven is seeing the same we can look into it.
  • edited March 14, 2018
    On my Macbook I get a different version of ScienceDirect than on my Linux machine. On the Macbook all browser behave the same (load the ScienceDirect translator) and fail to download the PDF. When I click on the Zotero button to save, the "Download PDF" popup shows up (https://imgur.com/a/bfdms). The popup also shows up if you load the page and click on "Download PDF".
  • On OS X 10.13.3 saving to Zotero from ScienceDirect fails (only gets title but fails to gets authors and PDF) with Safari, but works with Firefox (58.0.2), thanks to @dstillman for the hint.
  • I have the same thing, on OSX 10.13.13 I only get the title but no author or PDFs with ScienceDirect on Safari
  • I am experiencing the same issue still with Safari not saving PDFs or author names from ScienceDirect, it's quite annoying as I frequently use ScienceDirect, and the translator used to work just fine. I'm on OS X 10.11.16, so I assume it has something to do with a Safari update (or a Zotero update?).