Modifying Style Development and Change

Hi!

I've tried to solve this on my own through the Style Editor to modify the Development and Change style, but am failing miserable (i've tried checking the forums and not managing those suggestions either).

How do I get rid of the comma from an in-text citation such as (Johnson, 2015) to (Johnson 2015)?

This is the format guide (italics not appearing)

single author
in text: The theory was propounded in 1993 (Comfort 1997: 158–59)
Comfort (1997: 158–59) claimed that …
Bibliography: Comfort, A. 1997. A Good Age. London: Mitchell Beazley.

2 or 3 authors
(Madden and Hogan 1997: 45)
Madden and Hogan (1997: 45) discuss this idea …

Madden, R. and T. Hogan. 1997. The Definition of Disability in Australia: Moving Towards National Consistency. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.

4 or more authors
(Leeder et al. 1996: 69) Leeder, S.R., et al.

Article in Journal
As mentioned by Wharton (1996: 8) …
Wharton, N. 1996. ‘Health and Safety in Outdoor Activity Centres’, Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Leadership 12(4): 8–9.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

• Oh, and how to get rid of the brackets in the bibliography?
  • Hi @dewan.camelia

They guidelines, especially for Wiley journals, often don't match what the actual publications look like. Therefore the style behaves correctly and you can just ignore this.
    Check out #1: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/dech.12361/epdf
    Check out#2: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/dech.12360/epdf

Getting rid of the brackets. You can use the "supress author" checkbox in your text editor which will then only show (2011) and you can write the name of the author in text manually.
  • Thanks. It's not for that particular journal, but the style is quite close to what this edited book volume is requesting. I just need to get rid of the commas in the in-text citation + remove brackets in the bibliography. I do not want to suppress the author just to have it say Johnson, R. 2015 rather than Johnson, R (2015).

Thanks!
  • We can make a separate style for this other publisher then. That way other users can also use this (and you don't have to figure it out).
    I'll need:
    Name
    link to author guidelines
    Field of publishing
    ISSN if available

• Thank you, that would be great!

I do not have a link to the author guidelines, it's in a word document. Can I email you the information?

Thanks!
  • Sure. sepplseppl@gmx.net
  • edited March 6, 2018
    @dewan.camelia

Got your email.
    The style guide is actually available here online: https://www.berghahnbooks.com/authors/

Try this style (right click, save as, use with Zotero): https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/18f386c3dec50f4bd9e513e4e1dfb0b04dc4df78/berghahn-books.csl
  • That's wonderful! Thank you!

Last question, in this CSL style - the archival sources and reports are not properly cited in the bibliography. I.e. institution, place, archive and location in archive. Any way of adding them in?

Many thanks!
  • @damnation -- haven't checked the style in detail, but wouldn't it make sense to base on Chicago Manual instead since that's what they say they use?
  • Dewan,
    If you can give me an example citation and in which field each value is, I can have a look.

Adam,
    Didn't see they state that they use Chicago. Let me have a look how much work that'll be.
  • Berghahn: Reports
    Westland, J. 1871. A report on the District of Jessore: its antiquities, its history and its commerce. ***Note, the title is not capitalised here either, which the guidelines require.

Development and Change: Reports
    Westland, J. 1871. A Report on the District of Jessore: Its Antiquities, Its History and its Commerce. Calcutta: Government of Bengal.

Book archive
    Berghahn: Hunter, W., W. 1875a. A statistical account of Bengal: Vol 2 Nadiya, Jessor. 1875-1877. ***Note, the title is not capitalised here either, which the guidelines require.

D&C: Hunter, W., W. 1875a. A Statistical Account of Bengal: Vol 2 Nadiya, Jessor. 1875-1877. London: Trubner. V/27/62/2, India Office Records, British Library.

• It seems that the archive and location in archives doesn't show up for reports in Development and Change either.
  • I'm unsure what you need now.
    I also can't see that in the guidelines anywhere.
  • I would like to add

1) institution and place + archive and location in archives for reports to the Berghahn Books style

2) Capitalisation of titles in the bibliographic reference, which was explicitly mentioned by my anonymous reviewer.

How can I do that?

Thanks in advance.
  • title casing of titles and adding
    . [archivie_location], [archive].
    at the end
  • Where and how do I do that? In the Zotero style editor?
  • Can I ask you to be more specific next time and outline what the style currently looks like and what you want it to look like (including the fields in Zotero where you have the data).
    I'm literally working here blind as I can't see it in any of the guidelines.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/2afb50d79643f03f2e7501931a40e3ce58930c01/berghahn-books.csl
  • edited March 6, 2018
    Thank you for providing the link. I managed to update the style in Zotero and it is absolutely perfect now. If there's any tutorial on how to learn to do these things. Please let me know.

Best wishes
  • Sorry, just reviewing it one more time. For the Berghahn Books style for books and reports: is it possible to show both Place and Publisher/Institution + the Archive and Archival location? Currently it is showing only archive and archive location.

Many thanks and best wishes
  • Hi,

Unfortunately the style file contains numerous mistakes:

E.g., it uses "et al." with two (instead of four) authors/editors, it drops editor names in the bibliography, it sorts references alphabetically instead of chronologically. Many italics and apostrophes where they don't belong. Other references than books, book chapters and articles are not adjusted to the style guide and simply cause a mess (documents, newspaper articles, websites, etc.).

I had to chose between tinkering with the cls-file or removing the mistakes from my manuscript by hand. Due to a pressing deadline I chose the latter one. Sorry for that.

I would recommend to remove the file from the repository.
  • edited June 25, 2019
    @letlhwai
    For context: we're volunteers who make and curate these styles in our free time for you, the end-user.
    And considering that, we're very active here and if needed I'm happy to get a style fix up in hours if asked nicely. You could've saved yourself the hours of work.

Mistakes can always happen, so in order to just categorically throw this style out of the window and calling it a "mess", let's see what the citation guidelines actually say for "Berghahn Books" and see what needs adapting/changing to make this style 100%.

I had a look:
    1. added et-al for the bibliography for 4 or more authors as per guidelines
    2. Bibliography order:
    The guidelines state to order the bibliography alphabetically and the style is already set correctly to do so.
    3. My "mess":
    books:
    guidelines: Brown, P. 1982. Corals in the Capricorn Group. London: King’s College.
    current output: Isaacson, W. 2011. Steve Jobs. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.

chapters:
    guidelines: Blaxter, M. 1976. ‘Social Class and Health Inequalities’, in C. Carter and J. Peel (eds), Equalities and Inequalities in Health. London: Academic Press, pp. 120–35.
    Output: Mares, I. 2001. ‘Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?’, in P.A. Hall and D. Soskice (eds) , Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 184–213.