Sciencedirect PDF import not working

Dear all,

first my apologies if I have overlooked an obvious solution to the problem in the forum, I have now spent quite some time looking through all the posts and so far nothing seems to solve my problem.

When I get to an article on sciencedirect with automatic proxy redirection (e.g. http://www.sciencedirect.com.ep.fjernadgang.kb.dk/science/article/pii/S1053811917307280?via=ihub) and then click the Zotero download button, it attempts to download the pdf together with the article information, but always fails (red cross in the small pop-up window in the bottom right corner).

I have the most recent version of Firefox (57.0.1), Zotero (5.0.32) and Zotero connector (5.0.31), and I have updated the translators.

Happy to post the debug output logging for when I try to download a citation with pdf.

Best wishes,

David
  • I am having the same problem.
  • This is on our radar and should be fixed soon.
  • This is continuing to happen to me - am I to understand that whatever was causing it above is fixed and the fact it is happening to me is a new or local problem?
  • I should add that in contrast to the problem outlined by dameder Zotero does not even attempt to download the pdf (ie there is no pdf icon that gets crossed out). It just downloads a snapshot. This happens to me via proxy download on both Safari and Firefox.
  • My issue described previously had indeed been resolved since december. However, now I have the same problem as reported by Adam Cooper - it doesn't even attempt to download the pdf.

Best wishes,

David
  • yes, the sciencedirect page has changed again. We're aware of this, if it's easy we'll get a fix out over the weekend, but depends on what's involved.
  • edited March 2, 2018
    One of my students says that the new ScienceDirect design broke this even for Mandeley users like her. Mandeley is owned by Elsevier (as is ScienceDirect).
  • This is now fixed (again) — thanks for reporting. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting.
  • edited June 14, 2019
    hi everyone,
    the sciencedirect content recognition is faulty: the item
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S009913331830209X
    which really is a journal article is recognized as a generic web page (so no journal title, author(s), doi, etc.).
    and obvioulsy the PDF is not download(the same happens with OA articles with free PDF and with toll articles which i can read and download inside my university network).
    any help ? (from the previous messages i understand that the guys at sciencedirect routinely change the behaviour of the website)
    best
    maurizio
  • edited June 14, 2019
    very strange: now (and i don't know what is different from 10 minutes 'before') the above link is recognised as referring to a journal article, and both data and PDF are imported.
  • Same occurs sometimes with Wiley journals. Temporary network problems?
  • on the elsevier-sciencedirect side, you are thinking of? or on the user side?
  • For complex sites, Zotero can occasionally fail to detect when the load is finished and then not display the right icon. Reload/hard reload typically fixes that.
  • My case was a bit different but basically yes, waiting and trying later solved the problem
  • in fact the source code of sciencedirect pages is way more complex than that of other sites.
This discussion has been closed.