A2 - Deferrari, Roy Joseph
A4 - Wood, Simon P.
CY - Washington, DC
DA - 1954///
PY - 1954
VL - 23
PB - Catholic University of America Press
ST - Christ the Educator
KW - Christian life--Early works to 1800.
KW - Christian life--History--Early church, ca. 30-600.
ER -
When I cite this source for the first time, I get the expected output:
Simon P. Wood, trans., Clement of Alexandria: Christ the Educator of Little Ones, vol. 23 of FC, ed. Roy Joseph Deferrari (Washington, DC: Catholic University of America Press, 1954).
When I cite it the second time, however, I get the output:
Wood, Christ the Educator, vol. 23, p.
Which should be instead:
Wood, Christ the Educator
I have the following setup:
  • Zotero 5.0.35.1
  • Society of Biblical Literature 2nd edition (full note) updated as of 2/6/2018
  • Microsoft Word 2016 (16.0.9001.2102) 64-bit
I can't seem to find any reason for the additional ", vol. 23, p. " in the subsequent note output. Am I missing something?

Also, in cases like this, the A2 entry would seem appropriate to list in the "Creator" column in Zotero. But, that column currently appears blank for this resource.

Thank you so much for your help!
  • Also, in cases like this, the A2 entry would seem appropriate to list in the "Creator" column in Zotero. But, that column currently appears blank for this resource.
    Issue created.

Someone else will have to look at the other issue.
  • @dstark -- I've bookmarked this, but can you please remind me if I haven't gotten back to you in ~a week, please? I'm travelling and it's a bit more likely for me to lose track for things.
  • @dstillman, thank you so much!

@adamsmith, thank you. Absolutely, will do.
  • @dstark The style should now be fixed in the repository.
  • @fbennett, thank you. The ", p. " is gone. But, it looks like the volume number still appears. Thus, the output is
    Wood, Christ the Educator, vol. 23.
    when the following would seem to be more appropriate:
    Wood, Christ the Educator.
  • edited February 23, 2018
    The style was originally coded to include that information in subsequent cites, and it does seem necessary. Are you very sure it should be removed?
  • @fbennett, if I've input the data to Zotero properly in the above example, then it does look like the volume number should typically be absent from shortened citations per SBLHS, 2nd ed., §§6.2.23–6.2.25. Too, this issue only seems to appear when citing the whole book. If I add a page number to the citation, then the output already becomes something like
    Wood, Christ the Educator, 54.
    with the volume number left out.
  • Thanks, will fix that.
  • I don't have access to SBLHS, so I'll need a little guidance on the requirements to get this right. There are actually two things to confirm. The first is the metadata for this particular item. The translated volume "Christ the Educator" is item 23 in "Fathers of the Church Patristic Series." Items in the series each have a unique title, so the title alone is sufficient to identify the work. In that case, "23" belongs not in the Volume field, but in the Series Number field. With the data adjusted that way, the subsequent cite will come out as you expect.

Concerning multivolume works under a single title, the logic of the original style code (before my recent tweak) is a little confused, and we'll need to work out what the behavior should be. As coded, for a "book" item with a Volume, you would get "vol. X, p." with no locator. If the volume is part of a named Series, then even if a Volume is given, you would get just the page number, "Y" (with no prefix label "p."). If the volume is NOT part of a named series, you would get "X:Y." It seems unlikely that the style would specify such inconsistent citation forms.

Could you check SBLHS for guidance on the following citation forms in subsequent citations?
    • A single book, without locator (no need to check, that would just show the title)
    • A single book, with a page locator
    • A single book, with a non-page locator (such as "folio")
    • A numbered volume in multivolume work, without locator
    • A numbered volume in a multivolume work, with a page locator
    • A numbered volume in a multivolume work, with a non-page locator (such as "folio"
    Once we know exactly how each should appear, we can make the adjustments to the style.
  • @fbennett, sorry for the delay in getting back with you on this inquiry. I believe the following would be correct for short-format citations in SBLHS:
    • A single book, with a page locator: Talbert, Reading John, 22. [6.2.1]
    • A numbered volume in multivolume work, without locator: Winter and Clarke, Book of Acts. [6.2.21, "Titled Volume in a Multivolume Work"] OR Hofius, Paulusstudien. [6.2.24, "Work in a Series"]
    • A numbered volume in a multivolume work, with a page locator: Winter and Clarke, Book of Acts, 25. [6.2.21, "Titled Volume in a Multivolume Work"] OR Hofius, Paulusstudien, 124. [6.2.24, "Work in a Series"]
    SBLHS doesn't seem to include a specific, generic example for citing by folio but does specify the abbreviation "fol(s)." for "folio(s)" [8.1.3]. So, I presume citation of "a single book, with a non-page locator (such as 'folio')" and "a numbered volume in a multivolume work, with a non-page locator (such as 'folio')" would follow the most relevant SBLHS citation pattern and the advice in CMS 17 §14.155, except for the substitution of "fol." or "fols." as appropriate where CMS has "folio".

I hope this helps. If I can provide anything further, please feel free to ask.