Citing journals with "article number" instead of "page numbers"

I am having difficulty creating the bibliography of articles published in journals that use article numbers in place of the traditional method of continuous pagination through the volume. For example, with Polymers (from MDPI), the following reference is created (for simplicity, I am omitting author's names and article title):

Polymers 2017, 9, 722, doi:10.3390/polym9120722.
(in this case, the article number is 722)

But for other journals, e.g. Journal of Applied Polymer Sci. (from Wiley) references look like this:

J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2018, 135, n/a-n/a, doi:10.1002/app.46062.
(in this case, the article number is 46062)

Where is the problem? From the translator or I am doing something wrong?
  • yeah, that's definitely due to how this is imported from Wiley. Just remove the n/a-n/a from the pages field and replace it with 46062. We can look what we can do about this on import.
  • This is problem of "first on line" articles. Wiley use the pagination too, but for first on line articles can't be pages linked to the articles. The output of the import is fully correct.
  • @LiborA: Indeed, some (or many, I don't know) of the Wiley journals use the pagination system, but not all. It does not depend on the editorial but on the journal. The cited example of Journal of Applied Polymer Science uses the "article number" system since about 4 years ago for all published articles. Check it at:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1097-4628/issues

@adamsmith: Thank you for your tip... and let's hope it could be imported correctly in the future
  • @warguelles Oh yes, you are right. It seems like there is missing the meta tags "citation_issue", "citation_firstpage", "citation_lastpage" and there is string ".setTargeting ( 'WOL-Issue-DOI' , "Early View" )" in the code of the web page for the "first of line" articles.
    For the journals which do not use the pagination, there is only missing meta tags "citation_firstpage", "citation_lastpage".
  • There's a related feature request here:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11177/crossref-publisher-item-article-number

Mendeley already supports this feature.