zotero in citation for word crashes word whenever i try to cite

whenever i try to insert a citation into my word document my word immediately blanks and sends a message that Microsoft has stopped working. every document i have open crashes also. i have installed the latest update for zotero and have no problems saving new documents into it. can someone please assist on this. it is causing me a lot of lost time with work and lost information in the documents between saves.
  • Does this happen in new documents, too, or only in a specific one?
  • thanks. it also happens in new documents. i explored that angle to see if i could cite in a new document and copy in, did not work, that too crashed and close down.
  • What exact version of Word is this (not just the year)?
  • i am using office 365 the version 1710 (build 8625.2139). thanks
  • edited December 11, 2017
    You’re running the Monthly Channel for Office 365 ProPlus. Try to update to the current version of that channel (1711 build 8730.2122) or switch to the Semi-Annual Channel (1708 build 8431.2110).
  • I'd like to chip in to say that I've been experiencing the same problem - over the last fortnight, Zotero has been repeatedly crashing Word when I attempt to insert new citations. When the Add/Edit Citation window opens, the page freezes, and Word completely crashes.

This occurs in both old documents (with Zotero citations already present) and new documents. It does not happen every time I attempt to make a citation, but I'd say it occurs in maybe in 1/3 of attempts.

I am using Office 365 ProPlus, Version 1711 (Build 8730.2122). The crash was also occurring in Version 1710 (I updated to see if this would help, but no luck.) I am currently running Zotero 5.0.30.

If there's any further information I can provide that would be helpful, let me know.
  • @sumaye73 , @HettyMerton you should try installing Zotero 5.0 Beta build, reinstall the word plugin in Zotero -> Edit -> Preferences -> Cite -> Word Plugins, and see if the crashing still occurs.
  • I have the same problem! Did anything work for you?
  • I am having the same problem Just updated to Word 2016 and now crashing with EVERY citation. Very frustrating.