Zotero Mac Integration: "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred."

I have reviewed many of the very helpful discussions on this topic (thanks for all of your help!), but can't find an answer to my issue. I have tried a number of different approaches to Zotero Mac Integration and I get this error message in Zotero, "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred." In MS Word on my Mac, I can't see zotero.dot to add it to my "Templates and Add-ins" although it is inside the Zotero folder within the Applications folder--Word just won't let me click on that when I'm in trying to add it from within that program.
I am using MS Word for Mac 2011, Version 14.6.8.
I am using Zotero 5.0.34.4
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
  • edited January 29, 2018
    Could you submit a Report ID from Zotero after attempting to install the plugin?
  • Note that, while it's probably not the issue here, 14.6.8 is an outdated version of Word 2011. The last version of Word 2011 was 14.7.7, so you should update to that.

Manual installation of the Word 2011 plugin isn't possible, so you'll need to get this working through Zotero.

You can also check to see if the Zotero actions were installed into the Scripts menu in Word (shown here).
  • Thanks adomasven and dstillman. I have since updated my MS Word 2011 to the 14.7.7 version. I manually added the zotero.dot file but have to click on the box under "Templates and Add Ins" each time I open the program. That's better than nothing.
    When I try to install the plug-in through Zotero's "Preferences," I get this error:
    "[Exception... "The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[setTemplateTypeCreator:install.m:223]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 213" data: no]"
    Should I uninstall and then reinstall Zotero? Will I lose past work if I do?

Thanks,

Pablo