Icons of word processor plugin are shown in WPS but not responding

Dear everyone,
I am using WPS in Windows7. And after Zotero and word processor plugin is installed, the icons of the plugin can be found in the WPS writer as the same as it in Word. However, when I clicked the icons with Zotero open, nothing happened. There are no responses when I click these icons.
I am using Zotero 5.0 and the version of WPS is 10.1.0.6929. Could you please tell how to fix my problem?
Any help would be much appreciated!
  • Sorry, Zotero word processor integration requires Word or LibreOffice. We don't support WPS. (I believe WPS automatically copies installed templates from Word but isn't able to actually run the Zotero macros.)
  • Thanks very much! I think maybe I should use LibreOffice in Windows7 instead of WPS. However, I have one concern about the compatibility with the docx files. Since I need to write a proposal based on the template generated by MS Word, is there any possible problems if I use the plugin of LibreOffice to edit or insert citations and bibliographies in the docx files? Is that OK if I write all the contents in LibreOffice and then change to plain text and finally save as a docx file? Could you please give me some instructions? Thanks in advance!
  • You can work in a LibreOffice file and save directly to .docx.

However, and this is important, you must set the format to "Bookmarks" under "Set Document Preferences". Otherwise, your citations will not be saved with their links to Zotero. Also, you won't be able to insert references into footnotes.

You definitely do not want to save the file as plain text or RTF at any time. That, too, will remove any connection between the references and Zotero.
  • edited February 4, 2018
    Although everything @adamsmith said is true and useful, I have one more thing to add:

If you must submit your final document as a docx format file but it will _NOT_ be edited, returned to you with requests changes, and then you must resubmit; the situation is easier. Simply work in LibreOffice normally (not using bookmarks). When you are finished, save a copy of your final LO version. Working with that copy, remove the Zotero field codes and save your document as docx format. You should retain your final LibreOffice version that includes the Zotero field codes.

Even if the recipient will make edits and return the document to you for changes, I believe that it is safer to identify the requested changes in the version returned to you without field codes (or bookmarks) and to go back to your final working version and make changes there. Please always keep a copy of your document in native LO format. Especially when you submit a document in a non-native format, your document may be damaged in unanticipated ways when the recipient does something that is irregular. Also, the inclusion of field codes or bookmarks in the document may not be desired by the recipient.

Sebastian, do you disagree?
  • Thanks very much for all your answers! That is very helpful! @adamsmith@DWL-SDCA
    To prevent any possible conflicts, I would like to open the docx file in LibreOffice and save it as a native LibreOffice file, edit the contents and insert citations and bibliographies all in there. When I finish all the works, I should save the file first. After that, I should choose 'Unlink Citations' to remove the field code and finally save it as a docx file.
    The final submitted docx file will not be the edited by the recipient. So it sounds like a simple situation as DWL-SDCA said.
  • Agree, for that situation DWL's proposed solution is better.