Files still taking up Zotero storage space after syncing with WebDAV

This discussion was created from comments split from: why running out of Zotero Storage when using Webdav?.
  • I think I may have the same problem. I sync my library with Webdav on box.com. I've confirmed that everything is uploaded and synced across my devices using Webdav. The 'zotero' folder on box.com is 1.7gb with all my files.

However, my Zotero storage is at ~800MB. From My Library, it appears this is mostly metadata, but there may be PDFs/attachments from before I moved to WebDAV. Is there anyway to mass delete all attachments from My Library while keeping the metadata? Is it even necessary to keep the Metadata on Zotero storage?

As an example, I added a new reference today and synced to WebDAV. No problem. The metadata is also on Zotero storage, and it notes that there is a PDF attachment, but this is not uploaded to Zotero. Is it 'normal' to keep metadata on Zotero storage while syncing attachments with WebDAV? If so, is there any way I can clean up/compact/reduce My Library on Zotero storage to save space?
  • As an addendum, I should note that a lot of my references have "Notes" attached because I take notes on the references and share them with others (outside of Zotero). I'm guessing these notes are taking up a great deal of space. Still curious if there's anyway to clean up/compact My Library to save space on Zotero storage.
  • You can purge all files from the Zotero server using the "Purge" button here: https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage
    metadata doesn't take up any space (it's Zotero _File_ Storage) and yes, you always sync the metadata with Zotero, the webDAV only holds files.