Unable to See Manually Added PDFs in Online Library

I'm helping a curator who has both the standalone (version 5) and an online account. He has paid for additional storage and is synching both his data and files.

When he logs on to his online account, he can see all the PDFs that he has added to the standalone, using the Chrome connectors, from databases that have PDFs (e.g. JSTOR). However, he is not able to see any PDFs that he has manually added to his standalone library (e.g. files he's attached to a parent item from somewhere on his PC using the "attach stored copy of file" standalone feature.) Instead, he is presented with the opportunity to upload them to the cloud, which defeats the point of having already added them to the standalone.

Why is this? If he has synched his files and paid for additional storage, shouldn't he be able to see all the PDFs in his standalone?

Thanks.
  • edited January 25, 2018
    Can you provide the zotero.org URL for a file that's not accessible? (You can email to zotero.org with a link to this thread if you'd prefer not to share the username.)
  • I don't have access to the curator's PC, but I will ask him. Where would he find the zotero.org URL for a specific file? Sorry, if I've misunderstood. Is it just the URL for the record that should contain the PDF?

Thanks.
  • Yes, the URL in the address bar when viewing it in the online library on zotero.org.
  • Thank-you for clarifying. I've contacted the curator for the URL and will post it when he responds.
  • edited January 29, 2018
    Here is the URL provided by the curator: https://www.zotero.org/[…]/items/collectionKey/5KQFSB39/itemKey/9WUAJK5T
  • That's a linked file, which is stored elsewhere on his computer and isn't synced. (It's also from 2012, so not something he added recently.) There's a small chain in the attachment icon that shows that it's a linked file.

Files added via "Attach Stored Copy of File" should upload fine as long as he has file syncing enabled.
  • Thanks for clarifying. I've sent these instructions to the curator to ensure he is adding PDFs in this way (I thought he was) and not through the linking option. I also tested it out with my group library, for which I have synched files, adding a PDF to an item with the "Attach Stored Copy of File" and it worked. So I can only assume it should work for the curator as well.

Another question - If a person has file syncing enabled and has attached their PDFS via "Attach Stored Copy of File", does it matter when the PDF was added? I assumed that once you synched, both old and recently added PDFs should appear online.
  • That's correct, yes. It doesn't matter when a PDF was added.
  • Thanks for clarifying.