[feature request] "Alias" replacing the title

The titles of articles are always very long and it is hard to find the one we want if we have to read them. Moreover, when we discuss with other researchers we often have sort of nicknames for some articles that we often use.

It would be great if there was a sort of "alias" or "nickname" field with a possibility to show the alias instead of the title in the main window (still showing the title if no alias is set).

It could even be used to produce the bibtex citekeys !
  • There is "short title" field. You can use it.
  • Yes but we can't show it in the main window and I think it is sometimes shown in citations (maybe footnote) so we can't modify it at our will…
  • I would recommend the Call Number or Extra fields for this purpose.
  • edited January 27, 2018
    Yes, "extra" field can work, thanks
    But when I have already something else in the "extra" field (like citekey) it shows everything…

And I think this feature would be very useful and used by everybody if it existed, but maybe I am wrong… Would you use it, for example ?
  • Custom Fields are planned, likely for Zotero 5.2. Call Number is rarely used and is intended for storing finding aids, which I would regard this as, so it would be a good fit.
  • What leads you to say that Call Number is rarely used?
  • edited January 28, 2018
    Well, it's only used in a single citation style and imported only from library catalogs -- but obviously whether it's a good fit for something like this depends on how you use Zotero. If having library call numbers available is important to you, e.g., it's not a good field to use for something else.
  • Thanks, I will use Call Number. I didn't find to which field it corresponds in my French version at first, I just found it.

In my mind seeing the entire title of the articles is just a pain so I would have like to know if people would use an alias that take the place of the title if it was by default ? Few votes :-) ?