No Zotero toolbar in Word 15.41

2»
  • I didn't delete the database because it all still shows up in my library here through online, just not through the application. When I go to "change directory" it says default is /users/jennieery/zotero, so I have no idea why it's not populating with my library
  • edited January 24, 2018
    And when I click show data directory it goes to my zotero folder. And when I open Zotero folder, seemingly everything is there including the storage file, which has tons a seemingly all my files. so not sure what's happening
  • When I go to the zotero preferences and Sync tab, it says to sync to Username:jennieery. Should I go ahead and sync it on Zotero?
  • I went to sync again but got the same original warning, so I didn't sync
    There are some very curious problems with your computer file system. I assume that you used Mendeley at some time in the past but it shouldn't be the current default handler of your Zotero sql files.

I recommend that you do absolutely nothing until the true experts can give you more advice.

Do you have a full backup of your hard drive? Both Windows and Mac have very good built in software that allow you to automatically keep versioned/incremental backups of all of your files. Plug-in external (very large) backup drives can be had for less than US$200. Balance that against the risk of the loss of all of your graduate work.

I don't have the time right now but I'll try to develop a series of questions that should help to identify the problems with your Zotero files. I cannot get to this until the weekend at the earliest. The fact that you can see files in your Zotero directory gives hope that this can be resolved to your satisfaction.

Are you the only user of your computer?
    What is your computer operating system? From your earlier posts I think you are using a Mac.
  • First, make a complete backup of /Users/jennieery/Zotero. Then, what are the names, sizes, and timestamps of all zotero.sqlite* files in that directory?
  • We just need the info above.
  • Dan- Does it matter if Zotero is open or closed during the copying?
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_library
    If you want to back up your Zotero data specifically, locate your Zotero data, close Zotero, and copy your data directory (the entire directory, including storage and the other subdirectories) to a backup location, preferably on another storage device.
  • Ok, so I copied zotero library to my desktop, I can back up to my external hard drive when I get home. I'm not sure if it is an issue with my computer because everything else is seemingly running fine, I only have trouble with Zotero. It is very possible that I messed it up at some point, I am not the most tech savy person and I have been fussing around a lot trying to get Zotero to work, so it totally could be my fault, hopefully we can figure out what I did!

@DWL-SDCA I have a Mac computer. When I go to finder and open the Zotero folder it has 5 folders: Locate, pipes, storage, styles, and translators, then there is a blank (white) file named zotero.sqlite (no *). I deleted Mendelay (I forgot it was even still on my computer) and when I click on the zotero.sqlite now it just says the file can't be found.
  • And when I sign on through the internet to this site my library is there like normal.
  • then there is a blank (white) file named zotero.sqlite (no *)
    The "*" just means "any sequence of characters" — as in, look for all files that begin with "zotero.sqlite", and provide the info I've requested for them.
    when I click on the zotero.sqlite now it just says the file can't be found.
    Don't do this. It won't work.
  • ok. I went to get info on the zotero.sqlite file and it is as follows:

Kind:Document
    Size 917,504 bytes (918 KB on disk)
    Where: Macinstosh HD > Users> jennieery > Zotero
    Created: January 23, 2018 at 5:07 pm
    Modified: Yesterday, 8:37 AM

It is interesting that is says created Jan 23rd, cause that was just around the time we were talking about the Word tab, and just when that started working this stopped working (most likely due to something I did I would imagine)
  • There is also now Zotero.sqlite-journal . Same kind, size, and where. Created yesterday, 8:37 AM.
  • edited January 26, 2018
    Right, that's an empty database. You're saying there no other files that begin with zotero.sqlite in the directory? If not, this isn't the data directory you were previously using, or something on your computer is deleting Zotero databases. (Really, if you've used Zotero for more than a day in this location there should also be one or more .bak files.)

You should search your computer for other zotero.sqlite files.
  • On my Mac there are 3. Two called zotero.sqlite files both are "Mendeley desktop document" Files, both from Jan 24th at 2:15pm. (where we even working on this at 2pm?) And the third is zotero.sqlite-journal, kind is "document", and date is ----
  • searching my mac for .bak I get a bunch of PDFs which are articles from my library, that's interesting
  • You can, for example, check to see if there is a 'zotero' directory in either your Firefox profile directory (if you were using Zotero for Firefox previously) or Zotero profile directory.
  • I'm referring to zotero.sqlite.*.bak files, not just any .bak file.

You would be looking for a zotero.sqlite* file that is bigger than 900 KB.
  • If all your data is in your online library, you should just sync. Your previous database was somehow deleted (either by something you did accidentally or by some other software), but if your data is online it's not worth worrying about and you should just sync down your data and continue working.
  • It worked!!! oh my god all that panic over nothing. I can not thank you enough for putting up with me and helping me out. I just finished my dissertation study and am about to start to writing chapters 4-7, and I can't imagine doing it without Zotero. You are a life saver!!!!!!! Thank you so much!