Style Request: [Cambridge University Press short-title system (Law)]

Dear community,

I believe it would be helpful to create a new style for law books in Cambridge University Press. CUP is one most reknown publishing houses in the field of law. However, so far none of the existing zotero styles is significantly similar to the short-title style (at least I couldn't find any!). I've tried to edit similar styles, but I have been unsuccessful, particularly regarding the shortened references to books and journal articles.

The short-title style documentation can be found at the following link:
https://authornet.cambridge.org/information/academic/downloads/Additional style guidelines for Law.pdf

In the following, the two requested examples of citations.

In-text citation:
[1] J.L. Campbell and O.K. Pedersen, 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success' (2007) 40 Comparative Political Studies [italics], 307–332.
[2] I. Mares, I., 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?', in: P.A. Hall and D. Soskice (eds), Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage [italics] (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001).

Bibliography:
[1] Campbell, J.L. and O.K. Pedersen, 'The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Cuccess' (2007) 40 Comparative Political Studies [italics], 307-332.
[2] Mares, I. 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?', in: P.A. Hall and D. Soskice (eds), Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage [italics] (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001).

Thank you for your consideration!

Rodrigo
  • cc @damnation -- I think we have some similar styles, so shouldn't be too hard.
  • Great to know, hopefully that's the case. Happy holidays!
  • that's logged. I'll look at this in a week or so.
  • edited January 11, 2018
    Rodrigo and @danistrum ,

I've made a start on this style, but it needs further work very likely. Let me know what's missing.
    https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/13b7e2ec6aebb9db23b8a79736e82cdd182edf19/cambridge-university-press-note.csl
  • Many thanks, I will start checking it and let you know if I see that something's missing
  • Dear @damnation I've just finished checking the style. In general it looks fine, but there are some minor issues:

- In books, when citing specific pages (pinpoint citation), it appears a double comma before the number. It should be only one comma, followed by "at".

- When citing journals articles, the date of the volume should go after the title of the article, and the volume number right after the date of the volume: e.g.: J.L. Campbell and O.K. Pedersen, 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success' (2007) 40 Comparative Political Studies [italics], 307–332. Also when doing pinpoint citation in journals articles, it appears a double comma before the number. It should be only one comma, followed by "at".

- There is no definition of bibliography style yet. The form for entries in the bibliography is similar to that for the full note references in the short-title system, except that the authors' surnames should appear before their first names or initials. A footnote usually cites the specific page number of the source, while the bibliography conventionally offers the page span of the entire article in a journal or chapter in an edited book.

Many thanks

Rodrigo
  • edited January 15, 2018
    - books, page citation: comma is fixed. I do not see where in the guidelines it says to use "at" though?

- Journals: volume after year.

According to their guidelines, this should be like this:
    in a journal
    Erlmann, Veit. ‘The Politics and Aesthetics of Transnational Musics’. The World of Music 35/2 (1993), 3–15.
    Volume: 35
    Issue: 2
    Pages: 3-15

_ bibliography: added and authors should show correctly via new macro

new version: https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/6b02f0e6d151724459e27de6ac2523ba5bdef1fd/cambridge-university-press-note.csl
  • many thanks @damnation !

- re books, you are right it is not necessary to use "at" for pinpoint citations. In fact, when it comes to books they use "p." or "pp." (for more than one page). The guidelines do not explicitly exclude "p." or "pp." for the books (as they do for articles) and they use this format in all the examples involving books.

- re articles, please see p. 4 of the Additional guidelines for law (https://authornet.cambridge.org/information/academic/downloads/Additional style guidelines for Law.pdf) , and p. 8 and 18 of the General Guidelines (https://authornet.cambridge.org/information/academic/downloads/General style guidelines.pdf)

Following your example, the citation should be:

Erlmann, Veit. ‘The Politics and Aesthetics of Transnational Musics’. (1993) 35(2) The World of Music, 3–15.

- I also found that in shortened references to books - when you cite them after the first time - the format should just include author's surname (no first name unless there is more than one author with the surname), followed by the short title of the book/or article, volume number, if applicable (in the case of books) and page number(s) (with p or pp. for books, without for articles) - see pages 5-6 of the Additional guidelines for law.

Currently the shortened references consider name and surname (should be only surname), and pages without p or pp for books.

Again, many thanks for doing this!

Rodrigo

• Ahh. Good. Thanks for fishing out that example out from the law.pdf.
    I'll make two separate styles then. The more generic one and then the law one with its slight differences then.
  • Here is a new version.
    Please see this for a first-time and subsequent citation in text. As you can see it only prints the authors' last names.

J. L. Campbell and O. K. Pedersen, ‘The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success’, (2007) 40 Comparative Political Studies 307–32.

Campbell and Pedersen, ‘The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success’.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/1b13260db72fdb96d5591acd9a52efef49785fcd/cambridge-university-press-law-note.csl
  • @damnation, it looks really good now! I don't have any other comments with respect to books or journals for first-time citations. However, for subsequent citations it still prints the authors' full names (and not last names, as it should be).

I also found some minor issues:

- The style allows the use of ‘Ibid.’ (when you repeat the same book or journal in a subsequent note, see p. 11 of general guidelines) - this is useful because it shortens the text. Could you implement it?

- bibliography: it is now added but: (i) it is not ordered alphabetically; (ii) it does not show the year of publication in the case of the journals; (iii) in the case of webpages it does not includes URLs. According to the general guidelines (p. 4), URLs should not be underlined, should not be preceded with ‘http://’ if they begin with ‘www’ or similar, and should not be within angled brackets.

Again, many thanks for doing this.

Rodrigo
  • @adamsmith
    Could you have a look at the subsequent, only Lastnames issue? Could this be an issue with the data in Zotero rather than the .csl?
    Also, does ibid and subsequent make sense together? They're already shortened...

Rodrigo, could you check how the author names are entered in Zotero? I think the first name needs to be separated by a comma.

bibliograpy:
    i) sorting: fixed
    ii) date added for article-journal (the guidelines are conflicting here regarding if the issue should be included and if to use commas or spaces...)
    iii) for websites: I can't seem to find that in the guidelines. Can you post a citation here, how it should look?
    also note, Zotero just takes what is in that cell. If it contains https:// you'll need to remove that manually. CSL can't do that for you.

new version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/dc0cd388b59eb9199d83d3f743404ba3e717a5df/cambridge-university-press-law-note.csl

• @damnation, thanks for the quick reply. I've checked the names entered in Zotero, and you were right, in the sources I used to test the style it was missing to separate the first name and the last name with a comma. Apologies about that. Now subsequent citations work perfectly.

However, for the first time citation of journals, the date appears now two times: after the title of the article (that's OK) and after the page numbers (that should be deleted).
    In the case of first time citation of books, now there is a a comma after the title (that should appear only if there's further reference to volumes of the book).

The fixing of the bibliography works with no problem with respect to everything: sorting, date of journals and websites - after I had manually deleted the http://

Once more, thanks for everything!

Rodrigo

PS: The 'Ibid' question it's just a suggestion. The guidelines allow it, and although it is true that titles are shortened in subsequent citations, there's nothing shorter than Ibid, and this could useful as for many publications there is a strict word count.

• - double date: fixed
    - fixed the comma before, which could have made some other small mistakes. let me know

https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/8632652b02d120112785cb82c4e6d6e1efc840a8/cambridge-university-press-law-note.csl
  • @damnation -- you should remove the label for author-short, though.

I'd keep this without ibid, as that's not mentioned at all in the style guide.
  • @damnation : the double date is 100 % fixed.
    The comma before is also fixed. The only problem I notice is that now a space is missing between the title and the date, when citing websites and books for the first time.

When citing articles for the first time with a pinpoint, a space is also missing between the page range of the whole article and 'at' that precedes the pinpoint.

A space is also missing when citing a book section for the first time with a pinpoint, between the page range and the specific page cited (although in this case the pinpoint is preceded by a 'p.' - I believe it should be an 'at' like for books and journals).

Finally, in the bibliography, when websites are listed the date (or at least the year), is missing

Many thanks

Rodrigo
  • bibliography - websites:
    Can you give me an example how it should look like? Can't find it anywhere in the guidelines.

New version: https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/4ca7da6ad8fe8c953bc404704a24f41873d96a50/cambridge-university-press-law-note.csl
  • @damnation, thanks for all the changes!

re websites bibliography, it should have 'accessed' followed by the date, right after the URL link, separataded by a comma. You can see an example of a Cambridge book I have in my hands now (see the Annan, Kofi, entry):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjfov64et20u1q2/Archivo 18-01-18 13 20 07.jpeg?dl=0

Plus, although the bibliography is now sorted alphabetically, I've just noticed that first names or initials are missing, they should appear after the authors' surnames (see p. 14 of the general guidelines)

Finally, the only other problem that I notice is that when citing websites for the first time, a space is missing between the title and the date

Many thanks

Rodrigo

• Many thanks @damnation everything looks great now!
  • edited January 23, 2018
    @damnation , apologies for bothering with this one more time. I have applied the stlye to a larger text, and now I get a minor problem that was not there before: when you make a pinpoint citation of books, you get "at" and then the indication of the pages with a "p." or "pp.", for example:

A. Newcombe and L. Paradell, Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment (Kluwer Law International, 2009) at p. 3.

C. Schreuer, ‘Investment Protection and International Relations’ in A. Reinisch, U. Kriebaum (eds.), The Law of International Relations: Liber Amicorum Hanspeter Neuhold, (Eleven International Pub., 2007), pp. 345–58 at p. 357.

According to the style it should be just "p." or "pp." - "at" is not needed here.
    Can you please fix this?
    Many thanks
    Rodrigo
  • I've put in a fix. Once reviewed and accepted we'll write here that you can update the style.
  • (accepted, updated version should show up on the repository momentarily -- though looking at this -- there's no comma before the pinpoint? @Rodrigo%20Polanco ?
  • yes @adamsmith, there should be a comma before the pinpoint, like

J. Gordley, 'Good faith in contract law', in R. Zimmermann and S. Whittaker (eds.), Good Faith in European Contract Law (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000), p. 93.
  • And that's always the case for pinpoints, e.g. also for journal articles?

@damnation -- I think you'll need to fix that.
  • @adamsmith, if the pinpoints for articles use "at" there is no need of comma.

Example found in the guidelines:
    Sir Hersch Lauterpacht, 'Decisions and municipal courts as a source of international law' (1929) 10 British Yearbook of International Law 65-95 at 67.

Note that for articles the guidelines call for not using "p" or "pp."

So that should be OK in the style.