Word 2010 plugin error: the macro cannot be found

Hi,

Being, on the whole, a very content and grateful Zotero user, I do have a question about the latest Zotero Word Plugin (version 3.1.2).

The software I use, for the sake of completeness: Zotero 2.1, Firefox 5.0.1 (Dutch), and MS Word 2010 (Dutch).

Ever since the 3.1.2 update for the Word Plugin, which I installed this morning, I get the following error message in Word 2010:

"The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your macro security settings"

Any ideas on how this can be resolved, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
  • Does this message appear when you click the buttons, or as soon as you open Word? If the latter, do the buttons work?
  • The message appeared when I clicked the buttons; I wasn't able to use Zotero for Word at all. However, after some fiddling about with Word's security settings, I was able to resolve the problem.

In Word, under Trust Center - Macro Settings (I guess they're called that in English), the box was checked next to "disable all macros unless they are digitally signed". I changed that to "disable all macros, with notification". Since then, I haven't had any problems -- except that everytime I start Word, a security warning pops up "macros have been disabled". I then have to click "enable content" and everything works fine.

I'm guessing something other than Zotero might be responsible for that security warning, as on my laptop there is no such warning (and there hasn't been any problem with Zotero whatsoever since the latest Word Plugin update).

@Simon thx for inquiring
  • Where is the Zotero.dot file on your drive? (It should be listed in Word Options -> Add-Ins). If it's not in a directory listed under Trust Center -> Trusted Locations, that would explain this issue, although I'm not sure why the update to 3.1.2 would have changed anything. Thanks for following up on this.
  • I experienced the same issue and as @Simon indicated this issue was due to trusted locations in my case. My problem was:

Zotero.dot was in the:
    C:\Users\...\Microsoft\Word\Autostart

While the trusted directory was:
    C:\Users\...\Microsoft\Word\Startup

This is an issue with my Windows being English and my MS Office being Swedish. I guess Zotero checks the language of the OS while it should be checking the language of the Office package.

Here's MS description of Trusted locations in Word 2010: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-remove-or-modify-a-trusted-location-for-your-files-HA010354311.aspx?CTT=1

If you're Swedish and you've stumbled upon this post, here's the same in Swedish: http://office.microsoft.com/sv-se/word-help/lagga-till-ta-bort-eller-andra-en-betrodd-plats-for-filer-HA010354311.aspx
  • I am having similar problems, however I am trying to use Zotero from a work computer, and the trust settings are locked down, and only allow me to run macros that are digitally signed. Any idea when or if Zotero might start signing their macros? or how I might go about signing them myself.
  • Same comment than mgordon78. Setting the trusted location worked for me. Thanks
  • I am having similar problems, however I am trying to use Zotero from a work computer, and the trust settings are locked down, and only allow me to run macros that are digitally signed. Any idea when or if Zotero might start signing their macros?
    Zotero 5.0.34 for Windows now includes digitally signed macros.