Style request: [Twentieth-Century Music]

edited January 11, 2018
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/twentieth-century-music/information/instructions-contributors

ISSN: 1478-5722 (Print), 1478-5730 (Online)

In-text citation, full:

John L. Campbell and Ove K. Pedersen, 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success', Comparative Political Studies 40/3 (2007), 307–32.

Isabela Mares, ‘Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?’, in Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage, ed. Peter A Hall and David Soskice (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001): 184–213.

In-text citation, short:

Campbell and Pedersen, 'The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success', 307–32.

Mares, 'Firms and the Welfare State', 184–213.

Bibliography:

Campbell, John L. and Ove K. Pedersen. 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success', Comparative Political Studies 40/3 (2007), 307–32.

Mares, Isabela. ‘Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?’, in Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage, ed. Peter A Hall and David Soskice. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001. 184–213.

sample paper: https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/FEC192DA523E7CD4491066A1E79E4861/S1478572215000018a.pdf/music_technology_gender_and_class_digitization_educational_and_social_change_in_britain.pdf
  • The footnotes example doesn't look quite right, does it? The full footnote has full names as well as publication info. Also, should be "and" rather than & between names in FNs.
  • I chose to put in the short footnote rather than the full.

should definitely be "and", not sure why I did that.
  • right, but the style needs to full note, doesn't it? The short one is just for subsequent citations?
  • " For clarity during editing, use the full bibliographical reference on first citation in footnotes and a short form (including shortened title where appropriate, e.g. omitting second half of title after a colon) in subsequent citations"
  • you cut off the relevant second half of the sentence: "though the final edited text may show short forms throughout."
  • right, but that wouldn't be acceptable for submission, would it?
  • I don't see this as an issue. thanks for correcting my typos though.
  • The reason people are doing this for free, though, is that it's broadly usable for everyone submitting to that journal, not just for you, so if you want a volunteer to do this, we'll want to get this exactly right.

• to my knowledge, Zotero will only accommodate one form of footnote. Is this not correct?

In which case, one has to be chosen, and one left out.
  • The one I chose is exactly right.
  • No, Zotero does subsequent footnotes differently (test this e.g. with Chicago (full note) style), you don't have to choose.
  • ok. so I'll update it with both.
  • done, though I guess the style would need two versions, one for editing and one for final.
  • just checked the bib and not the notes yet, but looks great at a glance. will keep you posted. thank you thank you thank you thank you!
  • here's a few problems:

1. bib formatting for websites isn't quite right.
    what I have now:
    Witmer, Phil. ‘We Got Extra Geeky with the Guy Who Made That 80s Justin Bieber Remix’. Noisey (June 22, 2016). Cited 18 Dec. 2017. Online: https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/rgpa94/justin-bieber-1985-jerry-shen-interview.
    what I *think* it should be (I'm contradicting the document the journal provides, because I don't believe they don't want an access date)
    Witmer, Phil. ‘We Got Extra Geeky with the Guy Who Made That 80s Justin Bieber Remix’. Noisey, 22 June 2016. https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/rgpa94/justin-bieber-1985-jerry-shen-interview (accessed 18 December 2017).

2. notes formatting for magazines looks wrong to me—shouldn't it be the same as journal articles? Right now the date is put after a comma rather than in parentheses, and for some reason the month of the date begins with a lowercase letter (I checked—it's capital in my data). example:
    Mark Vail, ‘Yamaha DX7 6-operator synthesizer’, Keyboard, june 2002, 130.
    should probably be:
    Mark Vail, ‘Yamaha DX7 6-operator synthesizer’, Keyboard (June 2002), 130.
  • further on the magazines—full dates are not in the British style. Should be 21 September 2015, but instead I have "september 21, 2015".
  • 1. Yes, accessed dates in the bibliography but not in notes is pretty clearly what the journal actually wants.

2. Seems more like a judgement call. Newspapers have the date between commas in the style guide and I'd be more inclined to have magazines follow that template. The month should be capitalized, though.
  • notes for books with translator has a few mistakes as well:

Roland Barthes, Mythologies, Annette Lavers (tran) , New York: The Noonday Press, 1972.

should be

Roland Barthes, Mythologies, trans. Annette Lavers (New York: The Noonday Press, 1972).
  • @adamsmith re: websites, as I stated, I am talking about bib formatting, not notes. My contradiction is this: on their documentation, in websites bib formatting, it shows an access date. but then if the webpage is signed, or is a page on website, they don't want an access date? seems dubious to me that it would be so inconsistent; more likely this was just a typo on their end.
  • @adamsmith indeed, if you look at the sample paper link I posted, you'll see that in the bibliography, they do still provide access dates, even when an author or website name is given. so I'm correct.
  • yes, I was agreeing with you. They have accessed dates for all other examples, e.g. online journal & newspaper articles, so they clearly should be there for webpages in the bibliography and they got sloppy in the guidelines; that's not uncommon.
  • think actually that all books notes are mis-formatted—regular books also seem to have the publication info between commas instead of parentheses.
  • Fixed the dates for magazines.

Newspapers/articles:
    It shouldn't be like for journal articles. I made some changes to make it like the guidelines.

Also, double check your own entries. check what type they are and if they have the correct info in the correct fields. ;)

Also, they give quite a few different examples of websites (signed etc.), so I tried to reflect that. have a look again.

Here is a new version:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/8cd679f119891c8fe3ecfe85e93efe66ad745af8/twentieth-century-music.csl
  • I have been checking my own entries before posting comments, don't worry.
  • edited January 12, 2018
    just made a new bib—still getting errors in date formatting in the websites (American instead of British) and lowercase letters in dates in websites and magazines. the lowercase letters in magazines is new—last version had capitals.
  • @damnation -- you definitely still need to fix the publication info (place: publisher, year) for books & chapters in notes. Should be in parentheses -- you might need a separate issue-note macro to do this right.
  • short footnotes also don't seem to be working. I got "F. Lasntame, cited." which doesn't correspond to the given short note format at all.
  • Are you're using this version? https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/8cd679f119891c8fe3ecfe85e93efe66ad745af8/twentieth-century-music.csl

Try switching to a different style and back to make sure it updates in your document.

The dates should definitely be right (just tested this, but also the code just shouldn't be able to ever produce september 21, 2015) and there's no sign of "cited" anywhere in the style. And just to be sure, you're testing this with standard Zotero 5, right?
  • Zotero 5.0.33. Yes, I double checked the file. I switched to a different style and back (it crashed my document) and I get the same problems. The bib is just coming from a Zotero export.