Abbreviate "Book Title" in Item Type "Book Section"?

Is it possible to set an abbreviation (i.e., a short title) for "Book Title" where the item type is "Book Section?" It would be awfully handy when citing numerous essays from the same work. Perhaps a method exists similar to those codes for specifying reprints and such? Thx, m
  • edited January 9, 2018
    You can enter a short form of the book title by entering it in Extra like this:
    container-title-short: Short book title

You would then need to modify the style to use the short form of the container title, rather than the long form. (Chicago, for example, just uses the long form.) It's not possible, however, to do something like including a reference to book and then to use only the short form of the book title for chapters or essays in that book.

The Abbreviations Filter plugin might be able to accomplish what you're looking for, but I'm not certain on that.
  • Thanks @bwiernik! (1) Does use of the extra field create an either/or situation, or can a modified style still default to long form where the extra field lacks the code? (2) Do you know a style that uses both, so that I could experiment, and maybe swipe some code? (3) I wanted to try the abbrevs filter in Juris-M, but I can't seem to get it to work. Can you assist? Thx, m
  • In any style that calls “container-title” you can add form=“short” (look in Chicago for similar structures for “title”). Then, it will use the short form if available and the long form as a fall back.

I’ve not used the Abbreviations Filter plugin much, so not sure how much help I can be. What exactly isn’t working?
  • Okay. I'll poke around in the CMoS style! The abbreviations filter: I've installed it, but nothing about it shows up in any tabs either in Juris-M or in LibreOffice Plug-In Configuration. I can't seem to find it.