Word 07 "run-time error 5" following long "page number" entry

Yesterday working on a paper, when citing, I entered some additional comments in the "Page Number" box, to see if it would send them to the footnote as desired. The comments appeared but a few minutes later for my next citation it gave me the "run-time error", and every time after that also.
Since then I have uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero completely, including the Add-ins for Word and the message still appears. Does that make any sense?
I picked up Zotero on the fly in the last couple weeks, and it has worked excellently, though I haven't had much chance to really get to know it very well. I guess I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
  • Hi Mike, I'm using Word 2003, but had a similar "run time error" problem that no one seemed to be able to help with. I'm not positive about what caused my error to develop, but right now I'm thinking it had something to do with switching the collection I used to insert a citation. I can't verify that, though.

At any rate, here's what I did (and yes, it's a pain, but it worked) to fix the run-time error. I made a copy of my document and then went through and removed all the footnotes from that copy. I then copied this copy, made a brand-new file that had never had footnotes before, and re-entered all my notes using Zotero (fortunately, there were only about 25). Then I saved that file with the original name, replacing my document that was getting the errors.

Until the developers get to the point where they're actively working on the Word plugin, I'm just going to be really careful about using this feature and not try and do anything out of the ordinary with it!
  • The ability to add comments to notes is due in a coming version, which we eagerly await.
  • Thanks Moswell. After I succeeded in reinstalling, I actually did something equally burdensome -- I opened an extra Word document and would add my footnotes in there and copy and paste back into the original! Looking forward to the comments feature, and will proceed carefully...
  • I have done some work on the Word plug-in, zotero.dot, (though just for Windows) and offered it to the team. It's sitting in the SVN repository (in the trunk), and if you have repository access, you can try it out.

An important problem I discovered is that Zotero does not behave nicely if an item is deleted from the Zotero collection but a citation to the item is still in the Word document. Doing various things in Word can then get you the dreaded "run-time error 5". The same happens if an item gets a new internal ID number. This may be what's causing several reported problems.

The updated plug-in doesn't address the underlying problem. That has to wait for some changes on the Zotero side. But at least it doesn't crash with a run-time error. The new plug-in also adds the ability to create citations in footnotes and add a lot of surrounding commentary, the requirement that got this thread started (and that got me messing with the code).
  • Oops. Forgot to mention: Currently, the updated, unreleased plug-in is not upward compatible with the old. As of right now, you'd have to re-enter all your citations.
  • Mike, I suppose these are the little annoyances we deal with when it's all still in beta! I'm following the same "be careful" principle. I'm trying to work on the dissertation and this is such an amazing time saver and organizer, even when everything's not working perfectly.

Mccaskey, I'll hold off on the unreleased plug-in, but I'm glad to hear that there are developers currently working on the word processor plugin. And I'll be careful about deleting references from Zotero that may be somewhere in my Word doc. Maybe that was my problem before!
  • ... or still in alpha. :)
  • Mike (or anyone)-- I am getting the same error after having installed the new MS Word update (new zotero.dot) for Word 2004 for Mac. Any ideas?
  • Mccaskey - yeah, that too! :)