Style Request:Journal of Egyptian Archaeology

Hi,

could someone please help me for this citation style? I have difficulty to do it myself with my limited knowledge on how to create one.
My difficulty with the style is:
- where the footnote citation style should not include the initials of the first and middle name of the author
- the special footnote quotation style for revised editions (see pdf)
- a series citation style

Bibliography:
J. L. Campbell and O. K. Pedersen, 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success', Comparative Political Studies 40/3 (2007), 307–332.

I. Mares,'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?' In P. A. Hall and D. Soskice (Eds), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage,(New York: Oxford University Press, 2001), 184–213.

Footnote:
Campbell and Pedersen,Comparative Political Studies 40/3, 307.

Mares in Hall and Soskice (Eds), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage,184.

ISSN: 0307 5133

Information about citation style (pages 5 to 10): http://www.ees.ac.uk/userfiles/file/JEA-Guidelines 2-1.pdf

Thank you very much for your help!

Lili, a poor and helpless apprentice in egyptology.
  • edited July 14, 2017
    @gradiva
    Check out the style on the repository https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:the-journal-of-egyptian-archaeology

Test it out and let us know if there is any issues.
  • Hi,
    Sorry to bother you.
    There's a slight error in the citation style. This relates to non initial citations. The JEA guidelines http://journals.sagepub.com/pb-assets/cmscontent/EGA/JEA_Referencing_Style.pdf lay out citations thus:

Initial Citations Examples
    J. L. Campbell and O. K. Pedersen, 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success', Comp. Polit. Stud. 40 (2007), 307–332.

I. Mares,'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?' In P. A. Hall and D. Soskice (eds.) The institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage (New York, 2001), 184–213.

Subsequent Citations
    Cambell and Peterson, Comp. Polit. Stud. 40, 307–332.

Mares, in Hall and Soskice (eds.) The institutional Foundations ,184–213.

Bibliography
    None (officially)

The CSL style as it currently stands renders initial citations mostly correctly , however journal titles should use the short form and first names are always replaced with initals

In regards to subsequent citations, the CSL style (incorrectly ) cites in the following manner:

John L. Campbell, Ove K. Pedersen , 'The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success'

Mares 'Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers', 184-213.

Other things

When a specific edition of a book is cited the citation follows:

Initial Citations Example

A.H Gardiner, Egyptian Grammar: Being an Introduction to the Study of Hieroglyphs (3rd edn, Oxford, 1957), 1-6

Subsequent Citation

Gardiner, Egyptian Grammar 3 [ edn # in superscript], 1-6.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kind Regards
    David

• @davidc427
    Hi David,

thanks for reporting the errors. I started working on this. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/b6b739864599c11b47f82ed7269f24dc75cc55c8/the-journal-of-egyptian-archaeology.csl (right click and save as to install it).
    Can you test and let me know if we're going the right direction?
  • @damnation
    Thanks for working on this, I really appreciate it. You're definitely on the right track. However I did notice two small things.

In journal articles the CSL incorrectly authors names in full.

CSL Examples
    1.Linda Evans and Alexandra Woods, ‘Further Evidence that Niankhkhnum and Khnumhotep were Twins’, The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 102 (2016), 55–72.

2.Linda Evans and Alexandra Woods, JEA 102, 55–72.

In the first citation it should be
    L. Evans and A. Woods, 'Further Evidence that Niankhkhnum and Khnumhotep were Twins’, JEA 102 (2016), 55-72

The Second Citation

Evans and Woods, JEA 102, 55-72

Reading through the JEA guidelines now it seems ibid. and id. are still occasionally used ( see the Guidelines 6-7) but use of Latin abbreviations is being "minimised. "

What are your thoughts on the issue of ibid and id? It seems the guidelines themselves are somewhat ambivalent on whether to use them or not.

Personally, I'd leave the Latin abbreviations out or possibly make an alternate version with them, but I trust this to your personal judgement.

Also would it be possible to get edition # for books to appear in citations as discussed in my previous post.

I can try and edit this using the visual editor ( I am very much a novice), if you're too busy, I really appreciate the hard word you've done so far, and thank you for any further assistance you might offer.

Thanks
    David

PS: Here is a recent article following the JEA format, for reference https://www.academia.edu/30170294/Further_evidence_that_Niankhkhnum_and_Khnumhotep_were_twins_Journal_of_Egyptian_Archaeology_102_2016_55-72
  • edited January 4, 2018
    Hi,
    Can you double check your entry for the Evans and Woods paper in Zotero? I think the error stems from there. It renders fine like this for me:
    J. L. Campbell and O. K. Pedersen, ‘The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success’, Comparative Political Studies 40 (2007), 307–32.
    Campbell and Pedersen, Comp. Polit. Stud. 40, 307–32.

new style with edition for books added>
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/ba7669d72510b324866516d7d53fc0afe1cdcfac/the-journal-of-egyptian-archaeology.csl
  • specifically, it looks like you have the authors either in single-field mode or entirely in the last name field. You want them entered as Evans, Lina and Woods, Alexandra with last and first name in separate fields.
  • @adamsmith @damnation
    You're right! I did have the entry incorrect. My mistake.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'll test out the new version now. I really appreciate all your help.

David