getting an output from Zotero for metadata on OJS

Hello,

I'm managing a journal on OJS. I can enter the references only as text, but balises are accepted. I would like to be able to get an output that put the references as human readable text, but with the correct meta tags for being recognized by scholar google.
How to do it?
  • Export bibliography as HTML. The code contains human readable text and also COinS - see https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata/coins
  • If that doesn't help -- what are balises? I only know them from trains, never heard this for anything internet related.
  • Balise is something like title
  • LiborA: That's close, but I would like to get something like Highwire Press tags… for not mixing up the tags of my paper and the one of the citations…
  • Zotero can't output metatags other than COinS, sorry.
    We might add JSON LD in bibliographies, but not going to be super soon. Google Highwire tags are typically separate from bibliography entries, so that doesn't make a lot of sense for Zotero.
  • The aim is to get an output from Zotero than Scholar google could recognize …
    could be:
    -Highwire Press tags (e.g., citation_title)
    -Eprints tags (e.g., eprints.title)
    -BE Press tags (e.g., bepress_citation_title)
    -PRISM tags (e.g., prism.title). Use Dublin Core tags (e.g., DC.title) as a last resort
  • Understood, but that's not possible, sorry.
  • By the way, I tried COinS with in a minimal html text… nothing is displayed…
  • What you suspect to be displayed?
  • the text?
    I would have like the text in the tag appears …
  • edited December 30, 2017
    ...nothing is displayed... COinS should only appear when you view the page source.

Edit: I'm confused by your question about Open Journal Systems. Are you trying to find a quick way to include metadata for a pdf version of a new online journal article that is published using OJS software and hosting? I don't know of any way to avoid some hand-entry of new article metadata in OJS online forms. Are you thinking of entering the metadata into Zotero and then transferring it from Zotero to OJS? Once the article is entered into OJS, the standard OJS software automatically inserts GS meta tags for essentially all relevant journal article metadata (except the abstract) and also DC tags. OJS software can be set to also add a GS tag for the article absteact. OJS automatically includes the abstract among the DC meta tags.

If what you desire is a webpage bibliography with GS/Highwire Press tags in the page header, it is possible but this isn't something that Zotero can do. [At least, not without outside help.] I don't have time right now to do the search myself but you can get ideas about how to accomplish what you want by searching the technical pages about Google Scholar. Items from my online database are indexed by GS because we added Highwire meta tags in each page's html header. Getting this done properly required a few hours of work by our web developers but the process cost wasn't terribly dear. My SafetyLit.org service also has its records available for one-click download to Zotero via unAPI. Visit the site (free and without adverts--this isn't click-bait) and view page source of any page with a bibliographic record.
  • So… here is my page with a (poor quality) attent to include references: http://www.histoire-valenciennes-cahv.fr/Memoires/index.php/Memoires/article/view/651

On the http://heis.vuv.cz/data/webmap/datovesady/projekty/socioekonomzmenyspotrebavody/default.asp?tab=3 you can find website of one of my research project. On this pages I use the COinS generated by Zotero. These COinS are implemented directly to the HTML code of web pages.
    On my personal webpages https://www.ansorge.website I use the Zotero API for generating my bibliography from selected collection from Zotero.
  • Note that far of what I try to do
    There are two things:
    1. add metadata for the main article into the webpage - for this, you do not need to use Zotero, see the answer from DWL-SDCA
    ... the standard OJS software automatically inserts GS meta tags for essentially all relevant journal article metadata (except the abstract) and also DC tags. OJS software can be set to also add a GS tag for the article abstract. OJS automatically includes the abstract among the DC meta tags.
    For this see documentation of OJS.

2. add metadata for cited documents (references) into the webpage - for this, you can use COinS prepared by Zotero and for this, you can use the same way as I on my pages.
  • What I try to do is option 2.
    COinS in itself does not fit it, for, if you take your page in Zotero, it would propose to add all the references… I would need a modified Coins that use the Highwire Press tags.

I tried to modify it, but I'm not good enough to do it…
    @giby If you will look at the page source for the example you provided you will see that OJS has included both Highwire and Dublin Core meta tags in the page header. Are you also wanting these tags for each item in your reference list? That isn't a requirement for Google Scholar. What GS needs to index your article already exists the the header of your article's webpage. GS software will then also scan your entire article (the html directly or the pdf version with OCR) and this should include your reference list. If you have cited works that aren't already in GS those too are likely to be added to GS as citations.
  • I want SG to index the bibliography, for when someone looks for one of them, he can see that one of our article quoted it… That's needed for bibliometrie!

For exemple, http://www.histoire-valenciennes-cahv.fr/Memoires/index.php/Memoires/article/view/651 quotes "Beaussart, Philippe 1988 A Propos Des Origines de Valenciennes. Valentiana 2: 43–45."
    Look for it in scholar… You'll see the issue!
  • I want SG to index the bibliography, for when someone looks for one of them, he can see that one of our article quoted it… That's needed for bibliometrie!
    GS isn't 100% clear on how they work, but my understanding is the same as DWL's (who has much more experience on this). GS doesn't depend on metadata for indexing cited items and may very well not use it at all (as it looks for metadata in the header). Moreover, by embedding additional google highwire tags in the page, you're likely to confuse some reference managers. I wouldn't do it.
  • It does look at metadata of references… just look the code of pages that are correctly found … the question is: How…
  • I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this (e.g. GS lists items as cited by papers that only exist as PDFs on the web, i.e. definitely without any metatags), but even if you're not -- you're wasting your time here. Zotero can't do this and I don't think there's much interest in getting it to.

If this is really important to do, OJS would be the right place to implement it.
  • edited December 31, 2017
    I am very familiar with OJS software versions. No version of OJS includes metadata for the reference lists of journal articles. I've never seen COinS within a reference list of OJS journals or any other journal that provides its content in html. I've never looked to see if some journal articles in PDF include extra metadata to support the items that are in the article's reference list. That said, my knowledge of PDF metadata and OCR hints suggests that this extra stuff is beyond the limited capacity of a PDF metadata component. @adamsmith @LiborA [? @bwiernik] or someone else here on the forum may be able to provide you with a more definitive answer about PDF metadata.

I probably work as closely with the GS staff as any outsider. I can state with certainty that the items that appear in GS that are listed as citations are obtained as I stated above. I have no knowledge of how their system selects references from any articles that are included in GS -- why some are included and others are not (even within a reference list from an article selected for GS). It is common for GS to be the only web resource that lists a technical report. It is equally common for GS to include some citations from that report and not others -- whether or not any of the other references are available online. In order to meet our goal of maintaining a comprehensive index to the safety literature, I and volunteers with my service carefully examine GS entries for both full articles and citation entries by regularly performing standard structured searches. When we identify an article, thesis, or report we also examine its reference list. Often we find other useful material in that reference list -- items that are or are not included elsewhere in GS listings. It _may_ be worth noting that reference list items that were initially not included in GS usually end up being listed in GS after the item has been fully indexed with an abstract by my database service. Understand, there is essentially no by-hand editing or curating of GS listings. The selection process is all done by machine 'knowledge' and algorithms.

If your journal regularly publishes issues, given the material that exists in your OJS page headers, your contents will eventually be included GS. If you regularly include articles that have refeence lists containing both items that are already listed in GS AND items that are not I believe that your unique references to reports and theses are likely to be added to GS (that is, if you always make certain that items in your reference lists always strictly conform to a standard reference style that is machine interpretable).