What item type for "journal issue" (book?) [similar issue for conference proceedings]

Dear friends,

Sometimes journals that are new or do not have elaborate sites simply put the whole issue up as PDF. What's the right item type for this (if there is one)?

Similarly, there is a type for "conference paper", but not "conference proceedings".

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Bjoern
  • Conference proceeding you can cite/save like a book. Usually, you do not need to cite the whole issue. If you do not have PDF file for individual articles in the issue, you can use any free pdf tools for splitting the PDF of the whole issue.
  • Many thanks!

I guess I think of conference proceedings / journal issues as separate from books. Journal issues form a sequence. However, the book type does have a series number / volume, so I guess it does fit!

Many thanks!
  • A “Periodical” Item Type for entire journal issues (or runs of issues) is planned. For now, I recommend just using Journal Article.
  • edited December 30, 2017
    @bjohas wrote: "Sometimes journals that are new or do not have elaborate sites simply put the whole issue up..."

What you cite depends on the context. What you store as an attachment depends on how much effort you are willing to spend. If you cite one article from the pdf 'issue" you could store the full issue or you could extract the relevant article's pages and save/store only those.

For example (what to cite): the Journal of the Australasian College of Road Safety is released electronically as a single pdf file each issue as though it were released as a single printed issue. Each individual article in the pdf issue can be cited with metadata (volume, issue, pagination) as though it was an individual article from a printed document. I wouldn't normally cite the entire issue just because it was packaged into a single file any more than I would cite an entire printed issue of a journal that doesn't have its contents online. The only exception would be when it was necessary to cite an issue as a whole -- say, if a printer error made half the pages mirror image or if an entire supplement's articles were all retracted because of a guest editor's conflict.

edit: There is another reason to publish pdf versions as whole issues -- advertising revenue. Journals that are available at no cost to readers and that do not charge authors often have advertisements to support their publication costs.