Style Error: Society of Biblical Literature 2nd edition (full note)

1. The abbreviations for journals are not consistently correct. "The SBL Handbook of Style" conveniently lists abbreviations for all the major journals in the discipline in section 8.4.1 on pp. 171-216. The most recent one I noticed which initiated this post is for the "Journal of Theological Studies" which is listed on p. 195 of the style guide and should be abbreviated as "JTS", but is being abbreviated in notes as "J. Theol. Stud.".
2. For journals, issue numbers are being inserted after volume numbers with "no." preceding the issue number, but the style guide calls for a simple period with no spaces separating the volume and issue numbers ("SBL Handbook of Style," 6.3.1 and 6.3.9). (The issue is further complicated because the style guide calls for issue numbers to be omitted when the journal uses consecutive pagination for each issue within a volume. Zotero doesn't seem to be able to support this either.)
  • I've just submitted a proposed fix for point #2 that you've raised:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/2326/files
  • That fix is now available. Zotero will auto-update within 24hs or you can force updates of styles using the "Update Now" button in the general tab of the preferences. Thanks John.
  • I'm having this same issue with the SBL 2nd Edition style. In the style preview window, it is formatted correctly:

Peter Machinist, “Literature as Politics: The Tukulti-Ninurta Epic and the Bible,” CBQ 38.4 (1976): 455–82.

But using the word plugin, the footnote (same issue in bibliography) shows like this:

Peter Machinist, “Literature as Politics: The Tukulti-Ninurta Epic and the Bible,” Cathol. Biblic. Q. 38.4 (1976): 455–82.

Any good reason why the word plugin (mac) isn't using the updated SBL format???
  • Disable automatic abbreviations under "Set Document Preferences"
  • Bingo. Thanks!