beta 1.5 sync button does not work

I have mozilla 3.0.9 and ahve downloaded beta 1.5. I want to enter my user name etc as in documentation but when i click on sync button (third left button on the toolbar,) nothing happens.

I get a user name not set in Zotero sync server.I am using two computers. They are not linked in any way.

I think Sync is an internet site and holds my data so i can get to it with any computer i have Zotero downloaded on.

But i cannot get it to work
  • Make sure your Zotero username and password are entered in the top section of the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences, and uncheck "Enable File Syncing" in the bottom section unless you have a WebDAV server to use.
  • edited April 26, 2009
    Thank you for your advice Dan. I entered my Zotero name and password and made sure to uncheck the "Enable file syncing".

Now when I click on the sync button it revolves but nothing happens.

Is there a link to explain is supposed to happen? I thought maybe it combined the libraries.

Have jsut checked it again. One computer is windows vista - it has combined the references with those from my windows XP computer.. the comptuer with windows XP does not have the references from the Windows vista computer. I do not know if it is because there is a difference in the windows programmes.

Also the vertical slide bar does not appear in the middle column and I can only see my referenceson the lower part of the screen when i toggle to the large screen. I have not enough references to go beyond the bottom of the large screen so haven't encountered that potential problem yet.
  • When i opened Zotero again this morning the vertical slide bar appeared.
  • It may not be immediately obvious what has happened when your library is synced to the server. If you've entered your username and password on the Vista computer, then hit the green arrow/circle (Sync) button it has probably uploaded your data to the server. You can mouse-over the sync button to see when it last synced your data. Now, to see the library items on the XP computer, you need to enter your username and password there, as well, then hit the sync button. The items should begin to appear. Let us know how that goes. Good luck.
  • Thank you for your comment. By server do you mean Zotero server as I do not have a server - Computers have wireless internet and are connected wirelessly. When I hover over the green button.

When i hover over the green button i get a message "Last error tag: The first question to ask however is whether a l.... is too long. I do not know what l..... stands for. Is there a maximum length for a tag? I read a comment by nosagt that he/she did not know the maximum length but it might be an auto generated tag that caused the problem. I do not know what sqlite is and think it way beyond my knowledge of compuger to use it.

Is the z icon affected by screen resolution. i have the screen resolution set for bigger print and I do not hav a z icon. the only choices ar helf open, full oen or shut. When it is shut, because there is no icon, i have to go to tools zotero to open it.
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5435/too-many-letters-in-tag-to-sync/#Item_6
  • edited May 2, 2009
    Still not working. First I got onto the web site "about .com" and searched for the extensions file there. - No result. but it seemed to be something within firefox so i copied and pasted into the address bar and then searched and found it and couldn't figure out how to change to false. then by accident i double clicked and it changed. I then closed and opened Zotero and the grey tag was still there and it is still not updating to the other computers.

And I still cannot get the Z icon in the lower RHS corner on the third XP computer i have just loaded Zotero onto
  • edited May 2, 2009
    Have you removed the tag from all items? Is it gray in the tag selector in the bottom left when you click on My Library?

Are you using Zotero 1.5b2? (Click on the gear menu in the Zotero toolbar and click About.)
    And I still cannot get the Z icon in the lower RHS corner on the third XP computer i have just loaded Zotero onto
    Make sure the status bar is visible. View menu -> Status Bar
  • Thank you for reply. the Z icon now displays:)

On the first two computers the version is 1.5b2. On the third computer it is 1.5b21.

When i click specifically on my library the tag just above the ticked display all tags is black. When i click anywhere else below my library it is grey. I have searched for the tag manually and using search and cannot find it.
  • If you click on the tag when you're in the My Library view (i.e., when it's black), you'll see the items it's attached to. If you want to remove the tag from all items, right-click on it and click Delete.
  • I just downloded 1.5b2.1 on all three computers
  • Dan thank you for your advice.

I removed all tags from the vista computer. /the vista computer picks up the Zotero files from the xp home 2 computers b ut the xp computers do not receive the files from the vista computer. I have not removed the tags from the xp computers because there seems to be no problem with the vista computer syncing them
  • So I still have the problemof the vista computer Zotero having files from the XP home computers but the fiiles from the Vista computer not showing up on the XP home computers