Cursor jumps out note during typing

Hi Zoterians,

Since I updated to 5.0.25 it's practically impossible to write notes because the cursor jumps to the beginning of the note or outside the note during typing. The cursor seems to jump when I resume typing after pausing a second, catching Zotero in the middle of some kind of updating process - an updating icon briefly appears left of the search bar which I never noticed before (but it's my first update since 2 years). Any ideas what might be the problem?

Using Windows (10?) + Firefox.

Many thanks,
Sebastiaan
  • This is a known issue when there's an active search, though we haven't yet figured out how to reproduce it reliably. As a workaround, just cancel out of the search before editing the note.
  • Aha, thanks for the response!
  • This also happens for me despite having no active search I'm aware of, or at least there is no text in the search box. I see there is a github issue #1336 which describes my experience.
  • edited December 5, 2017
    This should be fixed in Zotero 5.0.29 and above. If you're still having trouble, let us know.
  • The problem still exists as described in issue #1336 in version 5.0.30
  • This isn't a general problem. Can you provide exact steps to reproduce it from Zotero startup with My Library selected and auto-sync temporarily disabled? As I say above, there was a known issue when a search was entered — which seems to be what @sebloo was describing — but as far as we know that was fixed in 5.0.29.
  • OK, I can reproduce this if I time it just right — something about typing right as the one-second save timer kicks in. Unrelated to search and sync (so different from the original issue above). We'll investigate — thanks.
  • Thanks Dan; I'm glad you're able to reproduce the issue and plan to investigate it.
  • Just wanted to say I am experiencing the same bug as dstillman. I'm using Zotero 5.0.30
  • The issue with the cursor jumping back — in attachment notes only — is now fixed in the latest 5.0 Beta, and the fix will be included in Zotero 5.0.31. The beta also fixes a separate, rarer issue where having a note open in both the right-hand pane and a separate note window could result in the notes getting out of sync and content from one being lost. If you're experiencing any other problem, let us know.
  • I've also been afflicted by this cursor-jump issue; I am glad to see I am not alone, and that a fix is in the works. When is 5.0.31 predicted to be released?
  • i have the same problem. also i often have to click several times on a field to be able to write.
  • Zotero 5.0.31 is available now with the fix I describe above. If you're still having trouble, please start a new thread with more details.
This discussion has been closed.