[5.0] Portable Zotero

2»
  • This is normal. Zotero has to restart when updating, and if you launch Zotero not by the portable launcher, the profile cannot be found.
    To update, just download the new version on github ( https://github.com/pedrom34/ZoteroPortable/releases ) or on portable apps forums ( https://portableapps.com/node/56957 ) and install in the folder of the previous version.

Or, do as you did! Ask Zotero to verify updates, restart when asked, accept the error, exit zotero, profit.
    Just be aware that doing this way will create a Zotero folder in both %appdata% and %localappdata% folder.
  • Thank you for the explanation! Some kind of workaround to avoid this error would be highly appreciated!
  • Well, I gave you two!
    But yes, I'll try to find something more user-friendly.
  • I found an user-friendly way: blocking the auto-update of Zotero. I modified those lines in App\Zotero\defaults\preferences\prefs.js as follows:
    user_pref("app.update.auto", false);
    user_pref("app.update.enabled", false);

This will require the user to update manually by installing each version I provide. I think it's a good way to do it: if Zotero Portable leaves beta, it will be easy to update with the PortableApps Menu checking for new versions.
    But I'm afraid some non-tech users will be stuck with the first version they install. And if I stop updating the portable version (not considering it for the moment), users will have to modify the lines.
    So I'm a bit reductant to do implement it.

Opinions anyone?
  • I would strongly recommend against disabling auto-updates. That is very likely to lead to users never updating, which will produce frustrating experiences and make it more difficult for us to help on these forums.

I would recommend finding an alternative way to handle this. One minimal path might be to package the PortableApp with an add-in that shows a pop up when an update is installed telling users to close and re-launch from the portable launcher.

@dstillman Is there a way to get the restart after Check for Updates to load with the same flags to avoid this issue (or could a pref for such be added)?
  • @bwiernik I'm ok with the popup (I don't know how to do it though). But users will have to delete the folders created in AppData and LocalAppData after the install.