In-line text reference call-out superscripts are not separated by commas

Hello, I tried using your default numerical referencing to economize space in a grant application, but I see that the superscripts of the individual reference callouts are not separated by commas.

For example, for references #2, #11 and #13 presented jointly at the end of a clause, I would get "21113" as the superscript! This could be interpreted as 21 and 113!

I then downloaded the JAMA style, because the superscripts are separated by commas in JAMA articles (pdfs), and I'm still seeing the same problem in my Word documents (either Mac or PC)!

How do I configure my zotero so that individual paper call-outs using superscripts are separated into e.g. "2,6, 10-12

Thanks
  • Sounds like you're inputting them as individual citations. You'd want them all in a single cite. (Search docs for word processor add-on usage for details)
  • Yes I am, since I really like the ability to enter the search string in that single-line red box to find a few refs out of the 2k+ I have, but it seems to automatically cut off my query at ONE entry. Do I have to use the traditional interface to select multiple refs?
  • One you're entered one, you can search for and enter the second one on the same box. Do search for the doc, I'm on my phone, so linking is a hassle
  • Got it. I see how I can click on "multiple sources" and search for and beam over references from my master list selectively, and import them into the document/biblio with one click. Thanks for the tip!
  • When I cite more than one citation using JAMA style, the commas appear as regular text size not automatically as a superscript comma separating the citations. Is there a way to set my preferences in Zoteto to automatically superscript the commas between citations? I have updated Zotero and using the latest version. Thank you!
  • This should work. Could you say which Zotero exactly and which word processor?
  • Hello. I am using Word 2016 and Zotero 5.0.28
  • Works for me.
    Has this worked for you previously? And you're inserting multiple citations at once, right? Not just next to each other? Are you using the "classic" add citation dialog (where you see your collections) or the regular one (with the red frame)?
  • This is the first time that I am using multiple citations and my Professors addressed the issue with the comma (that it should be a superscript). These are the steps I am using (not sure if it's the classic or regular) - I click on Zotero on the ribbon in Word < Add/Edit citation < the Z icon in the red frame appears < I click on the Z < I select "Classic View" < select citation
  • how about when you select the citations directly from the red bar?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites
    (though this works correctly for me using the classic one, too)