Shutdown of sync for Zotero 4?

By reading some forums and github discussions here and there, it seems that there is a plan to disable the sync server for zotero 4 clients when 5.1 will be released.

However, there is virtually no clear page documenting or even discussing this decision (or I couldn't find it, if there's one, I'm happy if you point me to it).

Any idea on which kind of timeline we are looking at? (weeks, months, years?)

Such a big disruption should be communicated well in advance, at least 3 to 6 months in my opinion, and prominently (blog post, email to registered users).

Maybe it is assumed that by the time we get around 5.1, most of the users will have switched already to 5.0, but there still may be a significant number of users that are still on the previous version, especially since the major changes in Zotero 5 meant that some major plugins needed time to be compatible again (for example BetterBibTeX which is compatible again since only very recently.) and forced us to delay upgrading.

Side question: do you have statistics on the sync server side about the versions of the clients and their relative share?
  • https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-and-firefox-faq/
    Note that Zotero 4.0 syncing will cease to work in early 2018.
    i.e. months. I think that's as precise as it's going to be for the time being.

Zotero has always only guaranteed full functionality for up-to-date versions, so in that sense this is really not all that different.
  • Thanks for pointing it out. I did read this page previously, but honestly, this note is really hidden at the very bottom of the already long post, and I didn't really see it.

Moreover it is answered in the question named "How much longer can I use Zotero 4.0 for Firefox?", but as a user of Zotero Standalone for already long time, I didn't really feel concerned by the question, and is probably the reason why I missed the note.

> Zotero has always only guaranteed full functionality for up-to-date versions

I wasn't aware of this fact either. I agree that it's quite evident that only the latest versions are supported for bugfix and other improvements, but since the syncing is a "core" functionality, which had been working for many versions, breaking this functionality for older versions warrants IMHO a fair warning to users. (as already mentioned, upgrading to Zotero 5 was not hassle-free for a lot of users, and may have had to be delayed for the aforementioned reasons)

May I suggest to announce the fact that all Zotero 4 clients' syncing will cease to work soon* in a more visible way? (dedicated blog post at least, email to registered users maybe).
    Since it is already known to happen, there is no reason to wait for announcing it, this will give more time for everyone to make sure they upgraded.

(*for some definition of soon)
  • We'll be publicizing the sync shutoff in advance, but at the moment the focus is on getting everyone on 5.0 and making sure everything is working as smoothly as possible so that people feel comfortable upgrading. (Obviously, the fewer the people still on 4.0 when we make the announcement the better.)
  • Hi, am I correct in thinking that this effectively means a shutdown of Zotero (with syncing) for anyone still using Mac OSX 10.6.8 (like me) -- as Zotero 5 is not compatible with 10.6.8?
  • edited July 14, 2018
    @littleconor: It means a shutdown of Zotero 4 syncing. You can continue to use Zotero locally as long as you want (though you may also stop receiving translator updates at some point).

Note that macOS 10.6 has been unsupported by Apple since February 2014 and received its last security update in 2013, and no major browsers support it anymore, so it's generally unsafe to use connected to the internet. (That also means that using either Zotero 4 for Firefox or the Zotero Connector would require an insecure browser, which you absolutely shouldn't use.)
  • Thanks for the reply. I gather that one alternative OS option for someone with a Macbook 3,1 is to run Windows 7 off Boot Camp -- do you know how for much longer Zotero will be supported on Windows 7?
  • Windows 7 will receive support from Microsoft until January 14, 2020. I would expect Zotero to continue to work until then. If I recall correctly, Windows 10 isn’t really more resource intensive than Windows 7, so you might just look into using Windows 10 instead.
  • W7 extended support runs until January 2020 and Zotero has never stopped support for a OS before its official support ended, often going beyond it.
  • Thanks, both. W7 is what will work on a Macbook 3,1, so it looks like it's that for the short-term or/and Linux for the long-term. I'm considering the former because of Word.
  • Are there any plans to make zotero 5 available for debian? If sync capability breaks for zotero 4, this will cause trouble for debian users (currently version 4.0.29 is available through apt: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/zotero-standalone).
  • Zotero runs on Debian from the tarball, just as on any other Linux system. It´s just not available via apt. My understanding is that the package maintainers (which are not core Zotero) are working on a Zotero 5 update. Generally, given Zotero´s rapid release cycle and the lag of the packaged version, I´d recommend just running it from the tarball.
  • @adamsmith Ok thanks for the information.