Modified Chicago Citation Style

Hi I am trying to use the Chicago citation style but slightly modified. I want it to use the last name of the first author only along with the year of the publication and the reference is italicized.

The issue I am having with Chicago citation style download from Zotero is that it will include the the last name of all authors, up to three authors, and after more than 3 authors it includes et al.

Examples:

(Chen, McKittrick, & Meyers, 2012)
Chen, P.-Y., McKittrick, J., & Meyers, M. A. (2012). Biological materials: Functional adaptations and bioinspired designs. Progress in Materials Science, 57(8), 1492–1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2012.03.001

(Belingardi et al. 2017)
Belingardi, G., A. T. Beyene, E. G. Koricho, and B. Martorana. 2017. “12 - Lightweight Solutions for Vehicle Frontal Bumper: Crash Design and Manufacturing Issues.” In Dynamic Response and Failure of Composite Materials and Structures, 365–93. Woodhead Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100887-4.00012-3.

I want these in text references to be shown as (Chen, 2012) and (Belingardi, 2017).

This includes the "," as the delimiter and I want the reference text to be italicized.

Does anyone know how to do this?
  • (The first example here is APA, the second is Chicago, so hard to say which of the two you want?)

The basics are explained here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    but both APA and Chicago are fairly complex styles so editing them may be a bit initmidating at first.
    What is this for?
  • Sorry for the confusion, I opened a new document and used the Chicago style for the document and then made those references. Either citation style is fine for, provided they meet my requirements from before and the bibliography is organized alphabetically by the last name of the first author.

This is for my dissertation proposal at my university. The citation style I am looking to achieve is unique to my department and there aren't any styles listed online through my university.
  • If it is only a slight modification, then we can have a look.
    We need an exact list though of what needs changing and a link to the style guidelines. As Adam says, fairly complex and it takes a lot of time to adapt. (And we usually don't do university styles)
  • Thanks for offering to take a look.
    Here is link to the Zotero style I am trying to modify
    https://www.zotero.org/styles/taylor-and-francis-chicago-author-date

Here is a link to the sytle guid
    http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/style/reference/tf_ChicagoAD.pdf

List of changes
    -Last name of first author only (no et al, no contributing authors)
    - Date of publication
    -Italicized font in the reference

Example:
    (Belingardi et al. 2017)
    Belingardi, G., A. T. Beyene, E. G. Koricho, and B. Martorana. 2017. “12 - Lightweight Solutions for Vehicle Frontal Bumper: Crash Design and Manufacturing Issues.” In Dynamic Response and Failure of Composite Materials and Structures, 365–93. Woodhead Publishing.
  • That's the styleguide to the one that we already have though -- do you have a link to your university/department's style?
  • edited November 22, 2017
    Unfortunately I do not. My university has given an example of the citation style (the example in my previous message) but hasn't provided anything else.
  • Can you adapt the two mentioned citations in this guide to match exactly what you are looking for in your style? https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
  • That would be fine. My issue lies in editing the style document such that it programmatically produces the in text references with my departments style.
  • No, he is asking you to provide the two example references (Campbell/Pedersen and Mares) in the exact correct citation format you want. He will use those examples to make the changes.
  • Ah ok. Just to reiterate. Last name of first author only, regardless of how many authors there are, the year of the publication, the last name and year a separated by a comma, and the text is italicized.

Here are some examples.

(Chen, 2012)
    Chen, P.-Y., McKittrick, J., & Meyers, M. A. (2012). Biological materials: Functional adaptations and bioinspired designs. Progress in Materials Science, 57(8), 1492–1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2012.03.001

(Belingardi et al. 2017)
    Belingardi, G., A. T. Beyene, E. G. Koricho, and B. Martorana. 2017. “12 - Lightweight Solutions for Vehicle Frontal Bumper: Crash Design and Manufacturing Issues.” In Dynamic Response and Failure of Composite Materials and Structures, 365–93. Woodhead Publishing.
  • I’m sorry to keep asking. He needs the exact two references that he links to above—the Campbell & Pedersen journal article and the Mares book chapter. Not any two random references.

Also, those two examples you have give completely different formats. One is APA, the other is Chicago-like.
  • edited November 23, 2017
    Thank for for the help and sorry for the confusion but I am still confused. I click the link above and I see the in text citations and bibliography for the Campbell & Pedersen and Mares.

When you say, he needs the references do you mean that he needs a downloadable file for each of those documents? (I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "He needs the exact two references that he links to above")
  • What I mean is take those two references. Modify them so that they are formatted in exactly the way you want for your style. He will use them as a template to make the style. Is that more clear?
  • edited November 23, 2017
    Crystal clear. Thank you for clarifying. I have pasted them below.

(Campbell, 2007)
    (Mares, 2001)

Bibliography:
    Campbell, J. L., & Pedersen, O. K. (2007). The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies, 40(3), 307–332. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542
    Mares, I. (2001). Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In P. A. Hall & D. Soskice (Eds.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage (pp. 184–213). New York: Oxford University Press.
  • Italicise by putting <i></i> before/after the bits you want to italicize (you can edit your post by clicking on the gear icon at the top right of it)
  • Thank. You. I edited by previous post.
  • Just realising we actually don't know the name of the university etc. Is this also for a specific institute? I need a name, otherwise I can't start the work.
  • I go to Colorado State University. This is for the Biomedical Engineering Department
  • edited November 26, 2017
    @aguirre_trevor
    Here is a draft of the style (right click and save as and install in Zotero). Can I please ask you, due to the lack of guidelines and also a few variations in your given examples to really carefully check the output from the style and let me know?

Also, I assume this is for the School of Biomedical Engineering and NOT the I go to Colorado State University. This is for the Biomedical Engineering Department ?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/8adb990fb173dfb20f6e8d7581178b61d610d870/colorado-state-university-school-of-biomedical-engineering.csl
  • @damnation

Yes, that is correct. The School of Biomedical Engineering.

I apologize for the lack of guidelines. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to provide more.

I loaded the style in Zotero and modified the document properties. It looks perfect.

Thank you for doing this for me. Your efforts are appreciated.
  • Hello,

Once again, thank you for making this style for me. I have having a minor issue with it. When I run it now, I get an error that says "this.dateparts is undefined". I have tried re-installing the citation style you provided and this didn't correct the issue.

What can I do to correct this error?
  • You've tried the last version linked above? Which version of Zotero exactly? Does this happen in a new document or only in a specific one?
  • I have tried the last version linked above.
    The version of zotero is 4.0.29.17
    It happens 1) in this document and I am unable to change the document preferences to a different style to test that and 2) in a new document if I select this style.
  • We'd encourage you to use the most recent Zotero version -- we don't do troubleshooting on old versions, really, though if you insist on using the old version, this add-on may help: https://github.com/Juris-M/propachi-vanilla/releases
  • I updated to the most recent version of Zotero and I am still seeing the same issues. In the original document where I am seeing these issues I unlinked the citations from the Zotero library and afterwards was able to change the citation style to a different one that worked. The good news is that my document isn't corrupted but it still doesn't solve the "this.dateparts is undefined" error.
  • Can you provide a Report ID after this occurs?
  • Hello dstillman,

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Report ID: 687138963
  • [JavaScript Error: "this.dateparts is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 6772}]
    @fbennett: Any ideas?
  • This was an interesting one, and took awhile to figure out. There is a bug in the processor, but I suspect that there was a bug in the style as well.

In the cs:locale section of the style, the final term definition is:

<term name="et-al"/>

Technically that's a valid statement, that declares the et-al term to be empty. I would guess that that is not intended.

In the processor, though, declaring that empty variable with a singleton like that causes the parse to go awry, and things get mis-nested internally. You would think that everything would then break, but for mysterious reasons the style ends up working, but leaving out some important internal adjustments needed for date handling. That should definitely not happen, and I'll fix it; but the quick and immediate solution for the style will be to say:

<term name="et-al"></term>

or maybe

<term name="et-al">et al.</term>