Import abstract into existing citations

Hi all,

I have a large medical bibliography generated from metadata from PDFs. The data came in from DOI and has no abstracts.

Is there any way to import the abstract into one (or all) of the citations based on the existing data in it (DOI, PMID, etc.)? Without having to manually re-import each citation?

Thanks,
Y
  • Not currently, no.
  • Generally planned though, but there are various facets to this (getting PDFs, updating via DOI, updating via other IDs like PMID, updating via URL and Zotero translators) and I'm not sure which of these is going to happen when/how.
  • I was afraid of that.

It seems that importing via DOI often does not give the abstract. So, to get the abstract, I''ll have to re-import every citation through another method (e.g. the Chrome connector).

Sigh. Well, it'll give me a chance to cull and update my library.
  • DOI lookup uses CrossRef primarily, which doesn’t store Abstract data. The browser connectors from the journal page are definitely the most reliable way to get the best data. I’d honestly just recommend leaving your library as is, then importing and merging duplicate items as needed if you need abstracts.
  • Hi bwiernik and all,

I am new to Zotero and came on this thread to better obtain Abstracts as well. Thanks for the DOI info.

Is the Chrome connector the small icon that I tap to save a webpage? Or another plugin?
    Thansks
  • yes, that's the Chrome connector.