Missing 'Web Page' item type

In the standalone Zotero program, I can only add web page items via the connector. It would be good if the item type was available for me to add entries manually.
  • edited October 28, 2022
    This is on purpose, see the Note here: https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#manually_adding_items

It'll likely change in the future, but I do wonder why you would want to do this by hand.
  • You'd want to do it manually if you didn't want to install the browser extension, didn't have a supported browser or wanted to ensure that the item goes into the correct collection.
  • edited November 18, 2017
    Zotero saves in the currently selected collection from the connectors.

edit: and since you do have the connector installed, the other two don't seem to apply to your case.
  • Another reason would be to add the web page when you are offline.
  • Or just because... Why not? The requirement of the connector to add a Web page isn't super clear.
  • The why not is that most people use the option to add webpages because they're not aware of the ability to do so automatically from the connector (and the option is generally preferably because it a) catalogs the access date, b) definitely gets the right URL, and c) archives the page, all with a single click) and this is intended to nudge them towards doing this "right."

It turns out this probably causes more confusion than it's worth, but I'd say easily 60-70% of people who've asked/complained about this in the past did so because they didn't understand how adding websites via connector/browser add-on worked, so there is a good rationale for it.

I think the idea is to create some type of first-time guidance when users select the manual option -- there's no particular reason that hasn't been implemented yet except for time constraintes. I don't think it'll get added back without that implemented.