So if I run firefox, i can't have zotero?

Because that seems to be how it's playing out. After using zotero for 3 years now, amassing libraries, etc., it's been "upgraded" off of firefox. I'm running 5.0whatever and when I click on the zotero clip icon--let's say from my uni library, a dialog box pop up that it's saving to my general library--even if I have a specific collection open. Then when I double check the collection, of course that new addition is no where to be found--and I mean NO WHERE. So I try adding the individual titles into the library manually (which is very efficient). Then when I work in WORD, and I try to add a citation, not only aren't the new titles there, but the whole collection is gone too. Like a fool, I upgraded to more storage, thinking this was the problem. But really seems to be happening is that Zotero is going to control which browser I use. So it sounds like I'm done with Zotero. WTF? WHy did you have to mess up a good thing?
  • edited November 15, 2017
    Zotero is perfectly compatible with Firefox. Let’s start with a few checks. What version of Zotero are you running?

(I understand you are frustrated, but please refrain from profanity and just describe your actual problem.)
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#etiquette

Beyond that, see the FAQ on this change, since it sounds like you're misunderstanding various parts of it (including the reasons it was necessary).

Then make sure you have the Zotero Connector 5.0.26 and Zotero 5.0.25.
  • Here's what's going on:
    I have Firefox 56.0.02 and I have upgraded to the new Zotero (several times in an attempt to get it to work) and am running 5.0.24. I'm following all the prompts to do so, don't know why my version is slightly different from those you listed. I'm also running WORD for Mac 2011 vers. 14.3.

Previously when using zotero (over the last 4 years), I would click on the small blue "paper" icon/bookmark to save a listing (from a university library, amazon, pdf from jstor, etc.) I would have the specific desired folder/collection active /open in Zotero (let's call it "thesis"). A dialog box opened saying that the item was being saved to my "thesis" folder. The listing would usually go into the Thesis folder.

Now, If I attempt to format a new collection/folder, it doesn't seem to take (again, let's call it "Thesis", because it is--hence my frustration). Now when I click the "paper" icon, the dialog box opens stating that it's saving to my (general) library--not Thesis. I would check Zotero collections, see that my "thesis" folder is open but the listing has not been added. I would do a search of my overall library, usually with the author's last name. but the listing doesn't seem to exist in the library folder either.

I have gone so far as to manually add books and journal articles directly to the desired folder. To no effect.

When I have a Word doc open (firefox browser and zotero both open and active as well) and try to add a citation from the Zotero icon on the dashboard, Zotero can't find any of the manually added entries from the "Thesis" folder. It can't find them from an author name. When the Zotero library opens in WORD, the new collection "Thesis" is not there.

So...I can't add a citation from my new thesis folder. I can only add a citation from an old folder or collection. If I can't add a citation, I can't add a bibliography. Last night, 20 minutes before a midnight deadline, I was manually typing in a bibliography. It was great.

I have tried syncing Zotero while it's open in Firefox. I have restarted my computer after downloading new versions of Zotero. I have purchased more storage. I have deleted old collections/folders only to have them reappear like Zombies.

I like(d) Zotero. I've used it for 4 years. I've spoken highly of it to others. Now I'm trying to find a new citation manager. But I really don't want to because I don't want to learn a new system while trying to write on deadline. I'm assuming it's a Firefox problem because this problem only started when you recently made the changes to the firefox version of Zotero. It's not like I don't know how to use Zotero--I just don't know how to use your new and "improved" version. I haven't changed. You have. At some point, I'm going to have to cut my losses and run to someone else.

Thoughts?
  • Let's start with the basics: you list one Zotero version. You need to have two pieces of Zotero installed:
    1. A Zotero connector in Firefox
    2. Zotero the software (aka Zotero Standalone)

We'd want to know for sure that you have both of these and their versions. You can check 1.) under about:addons in Firefox and 2.) in the Help --> About Zotero menu.

(FWIW, we're happy to help you get Zotero back to work, but the editorializing is just a waste of your and our time & energy. I'd recommend leaving it out)
  • I'm wondering if you're using the old extension - which was connected to Zotero for Firefox but still worked with Zotero Standalone - instead of the Connector. Have you tried uninstalling the Firefox extension and installing it from the Zotero download page?
    If I have Zotero 5 (standalone software) opened with a collection selected, when I click the icon in Firefox, it saves to the collection
  • Yes, definitely one scenario that seems possible with the description above. Let's wait for the version details.
  • Checked add-ons. Was running 3.5.14."for Mac integration" Updated Zotero version to 5.0.25, which seems to have updated the add-on to 4.0.29. 25. Fingers crossed.
  • (you can uninstall the Zotero for Mac integration from Firefox; it won't matter, but no reason to keep it cluttering your list of add-ons. Word integration is provided through Standalone and should work exactly as it used to)
  • @acmesarah:
    Updated Zotero version to 5.0.25, which seems to have updated the add-on to 4.0.29. 25.
    4.0.29.25 is still Zotero for Firefox. You want the Zotero Connector for Firefox, not Zotero for Firefox. The current Zotero Connector version is 5.0.26.