Bibliography links clickable?

I am not sure if it's meant to be clickable or not, but would be nice. When I add bibliography with a www link, the link is displayed as plain text.
  • Zotero/CSL can’t itself make the links clickable, but you can use Word’s Autoformat function to do so once you are done editing your document
  • Alright, but I haven't got a clue :\. I am just doing first year of college and am not so proficient with Word. I have 2016 Windows version.
  • Look at Method B here:
    http://www.addintools.com/documents/word/where-autoformat.html

Select the bibliography then click the auto format button. Alternatively, you can type a space after each link in your references (do this after you are done wh all other edits and after you use the Unlink Citations button in the Zotero tab to disconnect your document from Zotero—save a copy first).
  • Thank you, will give a go tomorrow.
  • Did you first use the Unlink Citations button to convert the live Zotero bibliography into regular text?
  • I tested @bwiernik 's method and it worked. You have to "Unlink Citations" before you *run* autoformat.

Note that you have to run autoformat, just unlinking won't change anything. I followed the directions on the linked page to add autoformat to my Quicktool Access Toolbar, and then ran it after unlinking citations.
  • I did not unlink, no.
  • edited November 1, 2017
    You can’t use the Autoformat function until you unlink. (It doesn’t work on Fields, which is what the Zotero Bibliogrpahy is.) This should be the last step that you do when you are finalizing your document.
  • Just a side question.

Is it a general practice to unlink anyway? Let's say I am done writing my report and want to submit my work. Should unlink it or is it okay to submit it as is.
  • You should always unlink before submitting work, but you should keep a linked copy in case you need to revise later.
  • I forgot to ask this seemingly unimportant question. Why should you always unlink before submitting work? Is there going to be a problem if it's submitted "linked"? Is the viewer going to have a problem to view it? What is I export as PDF (still linked).

• It's really just that you want to submit text, not active fields, which can show with gray highlighting, can accidentally be switched to field codes, and just generally show your work in progress rather than the final product.

If exporting a PDF, there's no need to unlink, and that's a great option when available, for similar reasons: you want to submit a fully rendered, read-only document, not an editable version of your work that's dependent on your local system for formatting. (A publication might want a Word document, for various technical reasons, but for school work, a PDF should usually be fine.)
  • It's really just that you want to submit text, not active fields, which ... can accidentally be switched to field codes
    It doesn't seem to be very common, but there are a few instances where Zotero/Mendeley field codes (or parts thereof) accidentally ended up in the final publication:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,30&q="github.com/citation-style-language/schema/raw/master/csl-citation.json"&btnG=
  • @bwiernik
    "Look at Method B here:
    http://www.addintools.com/documents/word/where-autoformat.html

Select the bibliography then click the auto format button. Alternatively, you can type a space after each link in your references (do this after you are done wh all other edits and after you use the Unlink Citations button in the Zotero tab to disconnect your document from Zotero—save a copy first). "

The problem with Autoformat on my end is that it autoformats the entire document and not just the biblio. I tried setting the biblio into a continuous section but it still autoformats the whole document.

I guess I have to go with the space after the link until a more automated solution come us up
  • You can always “Autoformat and review each change”