Superscript footnote numbering in Chicago 17

edited October 18, 2017
In Chicago 17 (and, I'm assuming, previous editions), footnotes should be formatted thusly:

1. Henry David Thoreau, “Walking,” in The Making of the American Essay, ed. John D’Agata (Minneapolis: Graywolf Press, 2016), 177–78.

Currently, what Word is outputting when I insert a footnote with Zotero is this:

[Superscript 1] Henry David Thoreau, “Walking,” in The Making of the American Essay, ed. John D’Agata (Minneapolis: Graywolf Press, 2016), 177–78.

I've tried modifying the default footnote reference styling in Word, but that modifies both the in-text footnote (which should be superscript) as well as the footnote numbering at the bottom of the page (which should not).

Is this something that can be changed permanently in Word, or is this something that can be fixed with a CSL update?
  • This is, unfortunately, literally impossible to do in Word (CSL has nothing to do with it -- you can see this at work if you just insert a regular foonote).

Word uses the same styling ("Footnote Reference") for both the in-text marker and the one introducing the footnote. If you change one, you automatically change the other. I believe the only way to Fix this is a fairly complex search&replace at the end of the editing process. LibreOffice actually does allow you to adjust the two independently.

(FWIW, the Chicago Manual actually differentiates a fair amount between what _authors_ should do and what editors and typesetters should do. It has advice for both. Even if they don't mention it explicitly, I'm fairly confident they don't care one bit how authors style the character introducing their footnote.)
  • Good to know, especially that libreoffice allows independent editing. Thank you!