Hang while installing Word for Windows integration

• Well I have now installed 5.18... and it has now for ages done a word for windows integration. I have no idea what it actually is doing.
    I have also added the new connector... well it will happen next time I shut down Firefox.
    I have to admit just right now I am a bit worried it I not only have to change habits, but also will loose all my references (there is absolutely none in the standalone 5 at the moment). It did pop ud with something about my old database and I said keep on using the new directory, but well... there is still nothing. Maybe that is what the Word integration is about, but then the title is certainly misleading.

One thing that for sure is missing is a dead easy guide on how to do this "up"grade between 4 and 5. I have been looking for it, but nothing pops up anywhere.
  • edited September 18, 2017
    (Please start new threads for new issues. Your issue isn't related to the other two threads you posted to.)
    One thing that for sure is missing is a dead easy guide on how to do this "up"grade between 4 and 5.
    There's no process — you just install 5.0.

I don't really understand your current situation. Can you explain?
  • I think so. Running v4.0.29.22, FF ESR 52.3.0 (64-bit) - works (almost, stumbled upon a strange error today so I thought I could try to upgrade. Database holds 1996 entries some with text (mainly pdfs). Can be exported in like 5-10 minutes between my SSD-drives over USB3 (I am all SSD) to indicate something about the total size.
    SO I went ahead to install v5. First part went well, next part... the thing about it finds a database and then if it should keep some dir that was not there before (so what is there to keep) or to use the original etc. Not sure what I choose, but it began to do some Word integration (according to Zotero) and I killed that after approx. 45 minutes. This may have been the process of converting database but then I guess it will be a proper message that it say just that.

Mean while I was reading a bit around about the sideeffects of an "up"grade and finally I killed it v5 off. I read about speed (like alone to start Z people speak about several minutes, some even longer), features that will go and very little if there is any real news (like I can be persuaded by integration in more programs than just Word etc.)

So my issue began as a: Why does it take so long to make an integration with Word, to go to: Do I really need this?

Or it began as: Can I install v5 next to v4 to run both. I know they can't be open both at the same time, but I am still not sure if I can run both on the same PC.

Or it began as: How to do this in a proper way? Getting annoyed by my self for not searching for any videos from people already done this.

Besides I have helped so many students install Zotero that experience has taught me that when it fails then the best way is to delete and begin all over. But when you have 1996 entries delete is not an option. At least not at first. I have tried to fix one deletion that FF did and it is possible but time consuming (the first time was probably the worst as the guides didn't fit my PCs behavior.

I know all about that FF is going to change so Z also has to and so on, but on the other hand I have another option. Stay with a few more upgrades to FF and then stop upgrading that for a long time and do just the same with Z. I also skipped all Windows versions between and including Vista and 7 and I still maintain a win98SE (that sometimes runs basic DOS or Win 3.1) or a few Win XP for different reasons. And if nothing else there are always virtual machines.
  • the thing about it finds a database and then if it should keep some dir that was not there before (so what is there to keep) or to use the original etc.
    We need exact error messages — please don't try to summarize.

Again, upgrading should be as simple as restarting Zotero — for most people this just works. So if you're having trouble, just report the issue with an exact description of what you see on screen, including the exact text, and we'll fix it.

You can also take a screenshot that shows what you're describing, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox, imgur), and provide a link here.

When the database is being upgraded, which for a 2000-item library shouldn't take more than a minute or two, there should be a progress bar over the Zotero pane that says "Upgrading database…". There's a separate progress bar for installing/upgrading the Word for Windows plugin, which shouldn't take more than 10 seconds or so.

When it's hanging, are you able to submit an error report via Help -> "Report Errors…"?
  • No error message. Just asking the question in the pop-up window after the install (and probably a run) I choose to keep (I believe) and then it went into Word integration to stay there for like 45minutes until I killed it.

I tried a few more runs selecting the other options... no difference what so ever.

I never saw any message about upgrading database.

I can try again ... Wednesday as I will be too busy until then.
  • No error message. Just asking the question in the pop-up window after the install
    Yes, and you need to tell us the exact message that you're receiving, or we don't know what you're referring to.
  • You'll get a screen recording ;-)
  • edited September 24, 2017
    So this time it did not hang, and you can have a few minutes movie. BUT it made catastrophy: How do I downgrade my Zotero database to version 4 as it now has been "updated" to version 5, but I still want to use version 4?

As far as I can Zotero made two new directories, one named old, and it has changed some files in the Mozilla profile. In the new Zotero folder there are three sqlite.bak files (looks like three generations). So maybe it is all about setting some pointers somewhere... kind of back on my point on some dead easy instructions...

While waiting on any kind of reply to revert I am testing v5 a bit. Why doesn't it recognize this http://www.egr.msu.edu/waves/publications_files/2012_09_mohammad.pdf as a pdf file, but believes it should make a shapshot of a webpage?
  • Z5 recognizes that PDF as a PDF in Chrome and Firefox for me. Are you using any PDF add-on, like Adobe acrobat, or is this the built-in PDF reader?

As for downgrading -- it's fairly involved, but the Z4 version of the database is the sqlite.77.bak one, so essentially you'll want to re-install Zotero 4 and point it to that database.
    As a warning, though, I don't think anyone is going to spend a ton of time supporting you in downgrading. As Z4 is getting discontinued, the priority is troubleshooting and fixing any issues in Z5.
  • edited September 24, 2017
    Well that is fair if nobody want to spend time on helping out in Z4, but helping to get back should from my perspective be one of the things the missing upgrade note should contain.

Anyways but maybe these should go into a new thread... around the pdf stuff, yes I do use Adobe Acrobat but not as an extension in FF. In my system the preview FF shows the pdf file and there used to be a save to Z option in there. That has gone. The first pdf file I tested it didn't matter as the Z button recognized that as a pdf so I could just press that button. But the one I linked to does not turn the Z button into a pdf icon but a webpage icon. So I can store it as a web page, but ... well that is not the idea with a pdf file.

In the meantime I have hit another issue. I import reference from time to time and among the places I use is worldcat.org. It begins as supposed by opening a blank window, but Z5 does not import the reference. ... Lovely I now see from the threads around that this is a known bug...
  • in 5.00.21 those two issues seem to be solved... while others are not. Still missing an easy way to return to Z4.