Losing original reference if click "add/edit"

Hi

I'm on standalone in Word, using the classic add citation dialogue, and have the following problem.

I add a citation and in it refer to a single item without issues. However, if I go back to that citation, and want to edit it - by changing a page range, say - then when I click "add/edit", the interface makes me relocate the item from scratch. It is not there to modify and I must find it again in my Zotero database, reselect it and make my chagne that way.

I've reinstalled the Word plugin and restarted both Word and Zotero a few times.

Any ideas on how to avoid this problem would be really helpful.

Many thanks in advance.
  • I can't seem to reproduce this. Does this happen in a new document? Which version of Zotero are you running?
  • Wow quick reply - thanks!

This happens in both new and existing documents in version 5.0.18.
  • edited September 15, 2017
    I seem to have the same problem as MattCampbell.

I am using Zotero version 5.0.18. I can add a citation, but I am unable to edit it (as before) by clicking on the citation in the footnote and selecting the Zotero Edit Citation menu button in the Word plugin. This happens in both new and existing documents.

Help please.
  • @adomasven -- did you catch the part about "Classic View"? I can reproduce this in classic view and I'm pretty sure that's been the case for some time now. It works correctly in the regular dialog.

lindsay -- I don't think that's the same issue, but when you say "unable" what exactly do you mean? What happens when you try?
  • I mean that I used to be able to (i) select the footnote that I want to edit (ii) choose the Zotero Edit Citation menu button and the Add/Edit Citation box would appear showing the details of the existing citation that I would like to edit.

Now, the Add/Edit Citation box appears, but without the details of the citation that I want to edit.
  • @adamsmith - if this is just part of how the classic view has been updated, I suppose that it's unfortunate, but I'll just have to switch to the newer one. By making editing more difficult, are you trying to reduce usage of the classic view with a view to phasing it out?

Many thanks in any case. Zotero is great.
  • edited September 15, 2017
    This did not happen on purpose, but yes, classic view is not being actively maintained/developed and so this likely just broke along the way (but just to re-iterate: Zotero wouldn't just make things worse on purpose). Adomas will have to say whether they'll fix this one or not.

The idea is to eventually remove classic view, but everyone is aware that a replacement needs to allow users to access their collection structure in Zotero, which is the main advantage classic view currently has over the quick format option.

lindsay -- is that also classic view in your case? In that case, same it _is_ the same issue (and same answers). Pretty sure it's unrelated to the change in buttons, though (the add/edit button does the same thing edit did before, just context-dependent).
  • Yes, the situation I am describing is occurring in the Zotero "classic view."
  • Dear All, I have just noted that the problem that I described earlier today occurs only with citations (in the classic view) comprising a single source.

When I edit citations (in the classic view) with two or more sources, the Add/Edit Citation box appears already populated with the details of the existing citation that I would like to edit.

I hope this helps to pinpoint the source of the problem.
  • Of course it is, but I hope that the people responsible for making changes to the program will react because it is not a small "bug", but a significant deterioration in the functionality of the program. After all, it's about quick citations. Thanks to the kindness of the authors they were able to enjoy good corrections
  • This is fixed in 5.0.21, which will be available in a few minutes.
  • Great success, I confirm that after updating the zotero editor and adding more bibliographic descriptions to one already created it functions perfectly. thanks a lot!!!