Last Zotero Firefox extension/addon release works great with Firefox ESR 52.3

I don't like to use the standalone Zotero 5, so I installed Firefox ESR 52.3 and the last Zotero Firefox extension release! :-)

https://www.zotero.org/support/4.0_changelog
Changes in 4.0.29.22 (August 9, 2017) - Released for Firefox only:
* Firefox 55 compatibility

Download URL:
http://download.zotero.org/extension/zotero-4.0.29.22.xpi
  • Yes, Zotero 4.0 for Firefox will work with 52 ESR, and 52 ESR is supported by Mozilla through June 2018. 4.0 syncing will likely be turned off before then, though, and 4.0 won't work with ESR releases after that, so if you're planning to use Zotero long-term, it'd be a good idea to share what you don't like about the standalone version.
  • Simply put: I don't like to use the standalone Zotero 5 because it is a standalone application. The integration of the Zotero Extension/Addon into Firefox Portable was perfect for my needs. I don't use the syncing feature.

I think it supprised many "Zotero Extension" (Firefox Addon) users, that Zotero decided to "upgrade" the Extension to the "Zotero Connector". After that the user will have no access to his Zotero Libary because the Zotero 5 standalone has not been installed with the upgrade to the Connector... As a result, there are many questions of confused Extension users in the forum.
  • I think it supprised many "Zotero Extension" (Firefox Addon) users, that Zotero decided to "upgrade" the Extension to the "Zotero Connector".
    1) We haven't pushed out the connector upgrade yet, so at this point people would only have it if they installed it from the download page manually, where it's described as the Zotero Connector. There's also a large note for Firefox users at the top of the download page linking to the relevant blog post.

2) When you first click the connector button after installation it explains the change, links to the blog post, and says to install the standalone app to access your data.

3) Zotero for Firefox and all other extensions based on the old Firefox extension framework will stop working in Firefox 57, so it's not like we have a choice here.