No icon in top toolbar

In FireFox, I can't see an icon in the top toolbar, to enable saving from the Web.

I've installed the FireFox connector.

I do see the icon in the toolbar, in Chrome.
  • I have the same problem. Looking forward to a solution
  • The connector is just like any other Firefox extension that adds a toolbar icon. You should see it in the toolbar by default. You can also check the overflow area (» button when you have too many toolbar icons), the menu panel (three bars at the right edge of the toolbar), or the Customize panel (by clicking Customize in the menu panel).

Note that you would only see a save button, which changes based on what you're viewing (webpage icon, newspaper icon, etc.), not a Z as in the previous Zotero for Firefox.
  • Yes the "Save to Zotero" icon is there and functional. But since the Z icon is gone, which used to open the Zotero library under the same screen, I can no longer save the source I am looking at in the specific collection I want to save it under in one click like I used to do. To do this, now I have to minimize Firefox, find and click on the relevant collection in the Standalone version, go back to the Firefox page and then click on the "save to" icon, which is very impractical. I am hoping that a solution can be found soon.
  • Additional ways of choosing the target collection may be added in the future, but this is how Zotero Standalone has always worked, and it's really not particularly different from Zotero for Firefox. You can use the dock/taskbar to switch between programs, use Cmd-Tab/Alt-Tab (which is what I would recommend), or arrange your windows so that they're both visible (which would give you the same layout as before). Don't minimize windows — that's a waste of time.
  • I now see a Z in the top toolbar, after following your instructions.
    However, this does nothing when you select it. I don't see any other icon, no matter what I'm viewing. According to help guides, you are supposed to see an icon next to the Z. I don't see this in Firefox. I do see it in Chrome.
    What's the Z supposed to do anyway?
    Thank you.
  • If you see a Z anywhere other than on a blank page, the connector isn't working. The Z should turn into a save icon after you first load a page.

We'd want to see a Report ID to start.
  • Sorry, unable to generate a Report ID - followed instructions, but didn't see any of these options displayed, ie "click the “Preferences” button next to the entry for “Zotero Connector”. Click on the “Advanced” Tab."
    I hope the following info will suffice:
    Browser: Firefox 45.1.0
    Zotero: 5.0.17
    Zotero Connector 5.0.17
    Operating System: Windows 7
  • Firefox 45 is no longer support by Mozilla, and the Zotero Connector won't work with it. You'll need to upgrade to Firefox 52 ESR or the latest Firefox version.
  • Thanks for your help with this.
  • edited October 26, 2017
    I just upgraded to Firefox 56, and while I see the icon to save a page, article, etc, I do not see the Z that used to open up my library to let me check to make sure I hadn't already saved an item. Is there a way to view my library without using the desktop version of Zotero (i.e., to view my library embedded in a webpage)?

edit: nevermind. I found a different thread about this issue. Seems like now I just need to switch back and forth between the standalone app and my browser rather than get a preview in my browser.
  • The Z icon suddenly disappeared from the top right corner on Firefox. Any advice? D2020503304