Does Chicago print the page label?

Is it possible that chicago manual of style (full note) prints page labels before page numbers like p. or pp.
  • You would need to edit the CSL style file. Is this for a specific journal or style guide?
  • I tried to edit the CSL style. Simple I added page label before page numbers at the styles. But it did not work.

Yes, I am trying to edit Chicago Manual Style in a way that Zotero could be used in the MA and PhD theses at Uludag University (Bursa, Turkey).

This problem is one of the last steps I could not manage it.
  • edited September 2, 2017
    I tried once again. Here are the results:

1 Reza Aslan, Zelot: Nasıralı İsa’nın Hayatı ve Dönemi, çev. Nalan Tümay (İstanbul, Okuyan Us Yayınları, 2014), s. 56; Karen Armstrong, İncil, çev. Ilgın Yıldız (İstanbul, Versus Kitap, 2008), s. 78.

2 Abdurrahman Küçük, Günay Tümer, Dinler Tarihi, 3. Baskı (Ankara, Ocak Yayınları, 1997), s. 57.

3 Ali Özek vd., Hz. Peygamber ve Aile Hayatı, 4. Baskı (Ensar Neşriyat, 2016), s. 145.
    Richard Elliott Friedman, Kitabı Mukaddes’i Kim Yazdı?, çev. Muhammet Tarakçı (Kabalcı Yayınları, 2005), s. 274.

4 Norman L. Geisler (ed.), Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics (Michigan, 1999), s. 34.

5 John F. Wippel, “Essence and Existence”, The Cambridge History of Later Medieval Philosophy, ed. Norman Kretzmann (Cambridge, 1982, ss. 385–410), ss. 395; Martin Luther, “Receiving Both Kinds in the Sacrament”, Luther’s Works, Martin Luther, ed. Helmut T. Lehmann, Jaroslav Jan Pelikan, çev. Abdel Ross Wentz (Philadelphia, Fortress Press, 1960, C. 38, ss. 237–267), ss. 241.

6 İbrahim Kalın, “Batı’daki İslâm Algısının Tarihine Giriş”, Dîvân, C. 15, S. 2 (2003), ss. 47.

7 Arthur Jeffery, “Bîrûnî’nin Karşılaştırmalı Dinler Tarihine Katkısı”, Uludağ Ü. İlahiyat Fakültesi Dergisi, çev. Muhammet Tarakçı C. 19, S. 2 (2010), ss. 326.

8 De Paul Clerk, “Baptism”, Encyclopedia of Christian Theology, ed. Jean-Yves Lacoste (New York, London, Routledge, 2005, C. 1, ss. 149–156), ss. 85.

9 Chai Yong Choo, A Study of the Person of Christ according to Nestorius (Doktora Tezi, McGill University, 1974), s. 225.

10 Şinasi Gündüz, “Abbot”, Din ve İnanç Sözlüğü, ed. Şinasi Gündüz (Ankara, Vadi Yayınları, 1998, ss. 12-13), s. 12.

Footnotes 1, 2, 3, 9 and 10 are OK.

Other footnotes should have been "s." (that is, p.). But it appears "ss."

These are the screen-shots. The folder contains the last version of the project.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw6mct-OgNULLTI1eVI1Z0JsYXc
  • Okay, adding a “prefix” to page isn’t how you would do that. That just renders flat text.

Instead, add this line of code before the line for page:
    <label variable="page" form="short" suffix=" "/>
  • edited September 3, 2017
    @bwiernik
    Unfortunately, that does not help.
    I tried it with null Chicago Manual of Styles. I added page labels. The result is totally the same.
    I think the problem is related to the container titles such as articles, chapters (and in my project encyclopedic entries). These contain two kinds of page numbers. For examples, articles have first and last page numbers. It also have specific page number in a footnote. If this specific page number is also plural, there will not be a problem because both first-last numbers and specific number necessiates "pp.". However, if specific number is a single one, Zotero pays attention to the first-last numbers. So the result would be something like "pp. 11".
    That is my conclusion. But I'm not sure.
  • So, I left "pp.", and used "p." for both singular and plural page numbers. This is not what I wanted, but it's also acceptable.
    Many zotero styles at repository which are based on "note" style either use "p." for singular and plural pages, or simply dismiss almost every labels such as volume, issue and page. The developers of these styles may have encontered with the same problem.
  • No -- the Chicago styles are written to conform to the Chicago Manual, which doesn't use page labels. The CSL process handles plural and singular labels correctly.

I'm having a hard time following what exactly you're doing, but my best guess is this: If you take something like
    8 De Paul Clerk, “Baptism”, Encyclopedia of Christian Theology, ed. Jean-Yves Lacoste (New York, London, Routledge, 2005, C. 1, ss. 149–156), ss. 85.

The "ss. 85" is, for CSL, not a page but a locator. If you want that as a singular, it's
    <label variable="locator" form="short" suffix=" "/>
    <text variable="locator"/>

If you use label variable="page" here it takes the plural from the page range of the item, i.e. 149-156.
    Sorry, I could not manage it. My result is the same except this:

De Paul Clerk, “Baptism”, Encyclopedia of Christian Theology, ed. Jean-Yves Lacoste (New York, London, Routledge, 2005), ss. 85.

The part following the year between brackets has gone.

Thank you very much for your help. I think I am making a mistake somewhere.
  • I am really having a hard time following what you are saying you are doing. "I could not manage it." doesn't really tell us at all what you are changing. To help, we really need you to specifically say what you are trying. Please include snippets of code in HTML <code> tags.

I'm sorry that I gave a wrong bit of code there.

In your style, all of the places where you added prefixes to a line with variable="locator", you want to delete that prefix. Those are hard-coded text that won't adapt based on single versus plural pages. Instead, before each of those lines, you want to add this:
  • "I could not manage it" stands for "I tried what @adamsmith said in a null Chicago manual of style, and the result is the same.". I just changed
    <label variable="locator"
    to
    <label variable="page"

Let me ask if there is any "note" style that print single page numbers of "book chapters" or "articles" as "p."
  • Like I said in my post above, your style currently has dozens of little residual errors in it, such as leftover prefixes you’ve added. I really can’t predict what they may all do. If you would like to keep editing Chicago, I recommend starting over from scratch.

If you all you need is a note style with page labels, you can search by example here:
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/

You can also filter for note styles at http://Zotero.org/styles and look at the pop up style previews to fine one with locator labels.
    (that's not what I said, though).

Let me ask if there is any "note" style that print single page numbers of "book chapters" or "articles" as "p."
    Irish Historical Studies for example

edit: and what bwiernik says about the current version of your style. There's too much weirdness to make sense of it.
  • Thank you very much for your guiding. I really appreciate.
    And I'm sorry for the disturb I made.

I will work on Irish Historical Studies.
  • edited September 7, 2017
    Dear adamsmith and bwiernik,
    Thank you very much for your direction and warnings.
    Thanks to your advices, I was able to be more familiar with csl styles, and to solve much, if not all, of my "little" problems.
    Sincerely,