DOI translator: skip item selector dialog if only 1 item detected

edited August 24, 2017
If I use the DOI translator on a page like this where there's only one DOI, it still brings up the Zotero Item Selector window, where I have to do two additional actions to get the thing in my library (tick the box, click OK).

Proposal: if only a single DOI (or more generally a single item) is detected on a page, skip the item selector dialog and save the item directly.
  • The reason it does this is because there are many pages where a DOI or DOI-like string that might be present that doesn’t actually refer to the item on the page (e.g., a blog post discussing a journal article that includes a DOI link to the article). The current behavior seems to be the best compromise to avoid imorting erroneous data for these types of cases.
  • (and this was changed from the proposal to the current behavior in response to a fair amount of confusion along those lines).
  • edited August 24, 2017
    Ah, fair enough. I can see the problem with that as a default setting in cases when you're not aware which translator you're actually calling.
    there are many pages where a DOI or DOI-like string that might be present that doesn’t actually refer to the item on the page (e.g., a blog post discussing a journal article that includes a DOI link to the article)
    Indeed, and this is a problem if I blindly click the "Save to Zotero" button. But if I have right clicked the button and specifically selected the DOI translator, I'm probably doing that precisely because I want the paper corresponding to the DOI and not the containing blog post or page. (Then again, I'm guessing the translator doesn't know how it was summoned.)
  • You’re right on the past point. The translator doesn’t currently know, and I’m not sure that that situation is common enough or that needing to click okay on the second dialog is hassle enough to justify the effort to program any other behavior (it’s also possible that someone might choose a DOI translator not knowing that it would trigger the problem mentioned above).