Saved citations disappearing!

Recently, a number of saved citations have disappeared from my Zotero account. They are not in the trash, and I see no record of them online.

At first I thought I was imagining things, but that's sadly not the case. I know that they were saved because the citations still exist in my documents, but the listings in Zotero are simply gone. There is no way to search them or restore them -- and I think the number of citations is at least several dozen. Most appear to be from the past year or so, but I can't be certain of this -- that may just be a function of the fact that those are the citations I am accessing most recently.

My consternation is nearing panic. Please advise.
  • This doesn't just happen on its own, so most likely you either deleted the items accidentally or reverted to an older version of your database when you weren't fully in sync with the server. If you toggle field codes in a document and provide some URIs for example items (e.g., http:// zotero.org/users/3279/items/ABCD2345), we can tell you if they were ever in your account online.

Do you have any backups of your Zotero data directory?
  • edited December 26, 2016
    Also, see this:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems

Do you have both the Firefox plugin and Zotero standalone? Be sure that you do not have more than one data location. In each Zotero version check the path to your file(s). Is the early part of the path _exactly_ the same?

https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
  • @danstillman:

I suppose database reversion is probably the answer.

Here are two URIs from a current document.
    One is an old citation (2008?), the other recent (2016):
    http://zotero.org/users/3279/items/UVEA8WCK
    http://zotero.org/users/3279/items/ES4HT5TK

I did not realize that the data directory needed backing up.
    I thought that a paid subscription for server space was enough insurance.

@DWL-SDCA:
    Standalone only. FF not installed.
  • Well, the ES4HT5TK item still exists locally, right? It seems like you just created that one and uploaded it a few hours ago.

The UVEA8WCK item was never on the server. If you really created that in 2008, it seems quite possible you created that from another version of your database that was never synced. But that's probably too long ago to have any idea what happened.

But you said that most of the missing citations are from the last year. Do you have examples of those?

But judging by the server logs, it looks like 1) you stopped uploading data on July 5 or 6, perhaps because of an unresolved upload error (which would've been indicated by an error icon to the left of the sync button) and 2) there was a full download of your library data on November 29. So something likely happened to your database or your data directory setting at that time, and you pulled down what was on the server from before July 5/6. It's possible you switched to a new computer, changed your Zotero data directory, the database became corrupted (which it would've warned you about), or somehow otherwise switched databases. You should look in your Zotero data directory to 1) make sure it's the directory you're expecting and 2) see what files are there. It's quite possible there's another zotero.sqlite file elsewhere on this or another system that has data from July to November.

As for backups, there's nothing specific about Zotero here — you just want to have automated incremental backups of ideally your entire hard drive and, failing that, any critical local data, even if it syncs with the cloud. These items were likely never on the server, but even if they were, if you, say, accidentally deleted a collection and all of its items, that deletion would just sync to zotero.org and you'd be in the same situation.
  • (For what it's worth, if you did stop uploading due to an upload error, we're going to add a more prominent warning in an upcoming version to better warn people when syncs aren't going through, since it's possible to overlook the current sync error icon.)
  • @danstillman:
    ES4HT5TK was recreated after losing it once.
    UVEA8WCK had to have been on the server at some point, since I've synced my directory more than once in the past eight years.

I noticed another lost another item this morning, which I've also recreated. This one is also a recent creation (this fall, I think).

As for the zotero.sqlite, I checked the local directory and it's up to date (latest is 10 minutes ago).

Also:
    1. There was and is no sync error indicator. I know what it looks like, have dealt with sync error problems in the past, and am more than 99% sure I would have noticed between July and now.
    2. I didn't "switch" computers, but I did install and use Zotero on another machine in July/August. Could this be the problem? And if so, is it possible that my old citations exist on that machine? If so, is there a way to recover them? (The machine is in the US, and I'm in Japan, but I know it hasn't been used since I left the US in August.)
    3. I didn't change directories.
    4. I got no corruption warning.
    5. I have TimeMachine backups of my entire drive. But wouldn't restoring my zotero.sqlite from one of these potentially wipe out everything I've done since then? Or would the items on the server but not local then sync with my local profile?

Thanks for your help with this.
  • I didn't "switch" computers, but I did install and use Zotero on another machine in July/August. Could this be the problem? And if so, is it possible that my old citations exist on that machine?
    Oh, well, certainly. Isn't it possible then that you just created items on that computer, and cited them, without setting up syncing? So then if you still have the documents but are now using your original computer, you wouldn't have those items. You'd need to sync that computer (after making a backup of its data directory for good measure, but no reason they should be affected by a sync).

I'm guessing that's the extent of the issue, but just to address the other points:
    ES4HT5TK was recreated after losing it once.
    Right, that's not relevant then. I'm just looking at the item keys, so a recreated item has no relation to the old one.
    UVEA8WCK had to have been on the server at some point, since I've synced my directory more than once in the past eight years.
    It hasn't been there since 2010. But as I say, it was created long ago enough that it's not worth worrying about this one.
    As for the zotero.sqlite, I checked the local directory and it's up to date (latest is 10 minutes ago).
    Well it'd definitely be up to date, since it's your active data directory. The question is whether you at some point had Zotero set to a different data directory and the setting was somehow lost (e.g., a custom directory, or if you initially used Zotero for Firefox, Standalone was using that directory, and then you uninstalled Firefox, causing Standalone to revert back to the data directory in its own profile directory).

The most important thing to do is to check whether the 'storage' directory in that one has folders from between July and November. If not, and you didn't delete them in Zotero, they were never there. (Zotero doesn't delete storage folders separately from items.) So if those don't exist, you should look for another data directory, either on this computer or another one.
    There was and is no sync error indicator.
    Yeah, actually an upload error would almost always be logged server-side too. So more likely that auto-sync wasn't enabled or, if this was the other computer, syncing just wasn't set up.

(I know you've used MLZ/Juris-M in the past. Not sure if you've used that anytime recently, but obviously we can't speak to what that might do with profile and data directories.)
    I have TimeMachine backups of my entire drive. But wouldn't restoring my zotero.sqlite from one of these potentially wipe out everything I've done since then? Or would the items on the server but not local then sync with my local profile?
    If you found a backup with the missing data (which you could tell without restoring by looking in the 'storage' directory from the backup) you'd be able to combine it with more recent data. Generally speaking, you'd just need to make sure you were fully synced, make a backup of your current data directory, replace it with the backup, and then sync, which would pull down the recent data and upload the data from the missing months.

If the missing data is on another computer, you'd just need to sync it.
  • Hi all,
    I recently had the problem that entries disappeared while the pdf was somehow still somewhere. The problem came to my attention because suddenly certain authors were not found via cite and write anymore...
    This is, unfortunately, a bit unreliable. Any idea what could be the reason?
    Any automatic synchronization that could cause problems?
  • I recently had the problem that entries disappeared while the pdf was somehow still somewhere.
    Could you say more? What does "somewhere" mean? Again, items just disappearing isn't really something that happens — it's more likely that, as was the case above, you're using a different data directory than you were previously, and items hadn't fully synced before. But you'd have to explain the PDF part.
  • @JohnnyWoltair

I once had the same problem and had it fixed by just updating the Zotero plugin. Don't uninstall or you will lose all your saved citations. Try updating the plugin if you are using Firefox. If you are using the standalone try also updating the application. Remember to sinc your data all the time just in case you need to re-install Zotero

Hope you will fix the problem.