error report

report # 1244740866

Was working fine until today.
Now everytime I try to do anything (edit/insert citation) I get one of the following error messages:

[JavaScript Error: "state.registry.registry[blobjr.strings.first_blob] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 3915}]

[JavaScript Error: "3 is read-only" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 14297}]
  • Does it persist if you restart Word and Zotero? Are you using Word or LibreOffice? What version of Word/LO and Zotero?
  • @fbennett: This was 1.1.171 to 1.1.174, possibly.
  • @0ndy: What citation style are you using?
  • Yes, it persists when I restart Word and Zotero. Word 2013.

I am using the American Journal of Roentgenology style.

I was able to fix this error for the time being by rolling back to 5.0.10, which was the version I downloaded it as. Obviously not ideal, but it worked.
  • This should be a quick fix, sorry. That error can occur when the processor code is run with 'use strict'. The error does not occur when I run the test suite, and I thought it would be safe for production. That was obviously incorrect. I will remove the option and make a fresh release, more news very shortly.
  • (I could be wrong in that assumption. We'll know once I get the release bundled.)
  • edited August 22, 2017
    Try installing one of the Propachi plugins, and see if that clears up the error.

@dstillman: I've left 'use strict' in the source, but fixed an attempted assignment to an object that is not assignable in strict mode. If strict mode is left in force, a similar error might crop up again in another context, but as far as I can tell these flawed assignments do not cause any harm if they are allowed. Should I remove 'use strict' from the published module, or would you prefer to keep it there?
  • @0ndy: You can test the processor revision in 5.0.10, by downloading the plugin XPI and installing it manually from Tools/Add-ins, using the pulldown menu in the upper-right of the pane.
  • @0ndy: This should be fixed in Zotero 5.0.17, available now via Help -> Check for Updates. If you installed the Propachi plugin, you can uninstall that.

@fbennett: I've disabled the "use strict" for now in the release version — there's too much code here, and too much else we're dealing with in 5.0, to try that in production. We can add it back when things settle down a bit and the beta builds last longer between releases.
  • @dstillman: Makes sense. I've adjusted the processor build script so that the declaration is only included for testing, and removed from the releases.