Trouble emptying large trash

Hello! I am an administrator for a group library. In trying to troubleshoot some sync errors we've been experiencing, I decided to try and cut down the size of the library by archiving (exporting and deleting from zotero) some of the collections. I am using the Zotero Standalone app for Mac, and I made the changes to on my local machine. The changes haven't synced to the server yet, and I suspect it's because the library is simply too large. The Trash has >27000 items in it. Here's my problem:

I have tried to empty the trash, in hopes that once the excess items are gone, it will force a sync and resolve all the sync problems we've had. But the trash is simply too large to empty. Using the right click--> empty trash causes zotero to hang, even when it is the only program open. I've let the program run for 2 days uninterrupted hoping it would eventually process, but given enough time Zotero just crashes and the trash remains full. I am able to delete individual items manually, but this is untenable for the number of items I have (it takes about 30 seconds to process the deletion, which seems like a long time, - I am using a macbook pro with an i5 processor).

so my question is: Is there any way to resolve this apparent catch-22 I'm in? is there a "multiple select / delete" command that I'm missing so I can empty the trash by the hundreds or thousand instead of one at a time? A multiple select--> delete command seems to do nothing. Is there another workaround to delete the trash? Using the server-side seems to be out, since my own library won't sync. What would happen if I went into the Mac library files and tried deleting the Trash that way?

Ultimately I may export the important libraries and start from scratch, abandoning this one. If there's a better option, please let me know! thanks!

• I’m not sure he best plan, but please don’t mess with the Mac library files or exporting/importing. One of the Zotero developers will be able to give you some better advice.
  • Is this in Zotero 4.0 or 5.0? If 4.0, you'd want to upgrade to 5.0.
  • Hi Dan,
    I upgraded and it seems to be working in small batches now. Thanks!
  • You probably don't even need to delete batches manually in 5.0 (if that's what you mean) — it automatically batches the deletions when you empty the trash.
  • using the "empty trash" seems to still cause hangs when the trash contains >20,000 items. I have been doing smaller batches and that seems to work smoother.
  • I confirm this problem on a Windows 10 machine where Zotero 5 profile folder is on SSD. Emptying trash takes much more time that it actually should.
  • Yeah, I can confirm that. While it doesn't hang the UI for me (testing with 6,000 parent and child items), it's definitely slower than it should be. We'll investigate.
  • @andselisk I also have an SSD on my macbook pro, for what it's worth