Abbreviations for Zotero

124»
  • I installed the abbreviations filter in Zotero standalone (4.0.29.17), but I don't see abbrevs button in word. Am I missing something?
  • Yes, I've tried using the classic view. Unfortunately I don't see the "abbrevs" buttion there either.
  • Sorry for the long delay. It's been one of those weeks. the abbevs button should appear in both views, so it sounds like something is broken somewhere. I'll try to test sometime this weekend. Feel free to ping this thread if you don't hear back in a week or so.
  • Hello there. I wasn't aware that there was an abbreviations thread so I created a separate one. Anyway I'm re-posting it here and I'm looking forward to hearing from you because I just finished a big manuscript and all abbreviations have been removed and it will take much time to replace them manually. I imported us primary sources to the abbreviations filter and then the button appeared but could not be pressed. I updated my abbreviations filter and now no button shows up either when I insert/edit a citation or in the style editor. I have tried various things like uninstalling and reinstalling both juris m and the AF but nothing seems to work. I checked and I have the latest version of both.
  • Should be back with you within the day. I'm working on some documentation for Zotero development this morning, but the calendar is clear today, and as far as I know, all of the pieces for the JM5 release are in good working order. Should just be a matter of me bundling things up and getting them online.
  • Sorry for the delay in getting back. The Abbrevs Filter does not currently work with Zotero 5.0. A small change to the code of Zotero itself is needed to get it working. I will file a proposal for the change with the Zotero team, and we'll have to wait and see. The team are very busy with the Z5 rollout at the moment, it might take some time for their review.
  • Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry about not getting back earlier. When you mention Zotero 5.0, I suppose that its equivalent is Juris-m 5.0. However, the juris-m version I am currently using is 4.0.29.12m98. Shouldn't it be working on that version?
  • edited September 8, 2017
    A few questions/issues:

1 - I am getting a network error when trying to download the plugin from: http://citationstylist.org/tools/. Is this the correct place to dl it from?
    I get this error:
    >This page isn’t working
    >gsl-nagoya-u.net didn’t send any data.
    >ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)

2 - has the Zotero 5 compatibility issue been solved yet? My problem above does not seem to be that, as it never even starts downloading
    This does not seem to be a Zotero 5 compatibility issue, as it doesn't even get that far.

3 - Will this plugin automatically fill in/update/correct the Journal Abbr field in my zotero library?
    This would be very useful as this is one of the main fields I look at when checking entries in my library. Too many journals have the same beginning of their title (Journal of XXXX, Nature XXX, etc), so I would need to make the 'Publication' field very large in order to get useful info from it.
    And would it automatically fill in this field when I add new entries? Depending on where I add new entries from, this is not currently the case.
    Not sure if this has been discussed before, didn't see it when scanning the thread and was planning to just test but got stuck trying to download the plugin.

• I found old posts by Frank Bennet (thank you for your incredible, continued work in the realm of making Zotero more useful for international legal writing!) about the Zotero fork that he was working on then. With that it seemed possible to do the following: Use a full citation the first time a source is citated and a shorthand for all subsequent references to the same source. Is this also possible with this plug-in? I might be posting in the wrong place, please forgive me and point me in the right direction. For my current project, I could still do this manually but if there is a solution, I prefer to learn how to use that.

Thank you,

Ben
  • Do you have an example of what exactly you want? What you seem to say is possible using plain Zotero, but I may be misunderstanding.
  • Amazing response time. Yes, I have since then discovered the "conditional rendering based on the position of the citation". This looks like what I need already. I am sorry I did not realise that this feature was already available. I will look into how to use that for my purposes and only post here again if I cannot get it to work.

Thanks a lot,
    Ben
  • Check out Chicago Manual of Style (Full note) for an example of a style that has that implemented
  • Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

Best regards,
    Ben