Unable to access word plug in

Hello,

I recently updated to the 5.0 version of Zotero and the word plug in no longer works. I have tried restarting both programs, disabling and re-enabling the plug in, and it still will not show up in word. The website says the plug in should come automatically with 5.0, but I am not seeing that. Any advice?
  • Did you follow the intructions linked here: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation (manual installation) ?
  • I have tried following those directions. I find the Zotero.dotm folder and the word folder. Do I just copy the zotero file into the word file? I have tried disabling the plug in and re-downloading it.
  • Do I just copy the zotero file into the word file?
    Yes, copy the zotero.dot(m) file from install folder to the word startup folder.
  • I have copied the folder into the word startup folder. Still nothing. When I go through Zotero > Preferences > Cite >Word Processors, the buttons to install the plug in get highlighted, but never do anything....
  • When you write "Still nothing", you mean in MS-Word, right?
    (Also don't copy the "folder": you just have to copy the specific *file* "zotero.dot" or "zotero.dotm".)

Can you see "Zotero Word for Windows Integration" in Tools→Add-ons→Extensions?

What's your OS? Which version of MS-Word?
  • Yes, I mean in MS-Word. I copied just the file, and when I go to Tools > Add-ons, it says Zotero.dotm has been loaded. However, the add-on does not show up in the tool bar. When I go through Zotero, the buttons in the Preferences > Cite that allow installation of plug-ins don't let me click either.
  • I have OS X El Capitan and MS-word for mac 15.14

I do see the "Zotero Word for Windows Integration" in the Tools > Add-ons and both the LibreOffice integration and Mac Integration have a "disable" button to click. When I go into Preferences of each extension, under Word Processors, there are two buttons to click for installing the word add-in. But when I select them, nothing happens. It's like the link is broken. I have tried manually installing, too.
  • Would it be possible for you to update Word? According to this page, your version of Word 2016 (15.14) was released on September 15, 2015.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Check-for-Office-for-Mac-updates-automatically-bfd1e497-c24d-4754-92ab-910a4074d7c1

Can you try https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear (not only the general solution, that you've already tried, but also those which are specific to Word 2016 for Mac, i.e. https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#tab_does_not_appear_in_word_2016 )

• I think it is installed, I just can't access the add on to put in citations. When I go into Word > View> "Show developer tab" > "Word Add-ins" and the :Zotero.dotm is checked and present. If I go through Zotero, there is a button to reinstall the add on, which I have done many times.

This just happened, when Zotero updated. Do you think its a bug that needs to be fixed? Or should I call Apple?
  • In the Developer Tab when you click Macros do you see Zotero related ones and if you click on them do they execute properly?

Did the add-on in word worked properly before?
  • When I go through Macros, there are is nothing listed. The add-on worked for me in early July. But then Zotero disappeared from my dock, and I re-downloaded the new 5.0 version.
  • If you open Zotero.dotm with Word itself do you get the Tab?
  • What do you mean? When I open Word, go to Developer, and click Macros, the scroll down list for "Macros in:" has Zotero.dotm (template). When I click Run for the different Macros, the Zotero citation screen comes up. But I need this to be in the toolbar so I can more efficiently insert/edit citations. For past documents, where Zotero worked, I can't access the internal citations.
  • If you double click on Zotero.dotm (described how to find it in the manual installation instructions), do you get the toolbar? As Gracile pointed out, you should look to update Word 2016 to the latest version available.
  • When I go in and double click, the Zotero.dot opens a document and allows me to access the plug in like normal. But when I go into past documents that have Zotero citations, it will not let me access the plug in. I will update my MS-word and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • When I go in and double click, the Zotero.dot
    Do you mean .dot or .dotm ? The two produce the toolbar in different locations. We'd want you to try with .dotm