"Zotero is currently unavailable" with Zotero 5.0.18 and Firefox Connector 5.0.16

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero is offline.
  • Well, just checked it out: I'm afraid Firefox 52.3.0 ESR with Connector 5.0.16 and Zotero Standalone 5.0.8 on El Capitan 10.11.6 on my MacBookPro has stopped working only recently. :( "Zotero is currently unavailable." While the ping page yields: "Zotero Connector Server is Available." I can only add items by hand. Synching to zotero.org seems to work. — N.B. Standalone did work on this machine before. The error occured only recently. I didn't change a thing
  • That would be a different issue — the fixed one was specific to Zotero 4.0.

Can you provide a Debug ID for clicking the "Update Status" button?
  • edited August 8, 2017
    Thanks for creating this thread! I am sorry that I was not aware the issue was restricted to Zotero 4.

The ID that was created by Zotero is: 1379384037
  • That's a Report ID from Zotero. We need a Debug ID from the connector.
  • edited August 8, 2017
    It yields: "Report ID: undefined". :(

Logging does not work. It seems that there is nothing to log. Nothing happens when I click on the connector icon in Firefox.
  • We need a Debug ID, not a Report ID. Follow the link for instructions.
  • I hope this was the correct operation: "D453509637". It is not easy to perform the steps in the help page you link to because my system runs with a German interface...
  • No, that's from Zotero. We need this from the Chrome connector. The connector isn't localized, so this is all exactly as explained in the instructions:

https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_firefox_chrome_and_safari
  • Thanks for explaining. But please see above: That's what I did above when I got the message "Report ID: undefined". I can reproduce that.

When I try logging with "Debug output logging", I get: "Your debug output has been submitted. The Debug ID is Dundefined." The "View output" window is void.

Zotero button in Firefox does not adapt to the source that could be imported from the web page. Only the red Z is displayed. When I click the Z button, the small window opens to the lower righthand side, but no import happens. No logging either, it seems. :(
  • But please see above: That's what I did above when I got the message "Report ID: undefined".
    Note that, while the "undefined" is clearly wrong, this is still for "Submit Report" under "Report Errors", not "Submit Debug Report" under "Debug Output Logging", which is what the linked page refers to.
    When I try logging with "Debug output logging", I get: "Your debug output has been submitted. The Debug ID is Dundefined."
    OK, so this is the Debug Output Logging section, but clearly also not working right, and a red Z means something is more generally broken. I'd start by disabling any other Firefox extensions you're running to see if that makes a difference — something appears to be preventing Zotero from even submitting error reports.
  • Disabling all other extensions results in a black Z icon in all cases, and the small saving window disappears, but it does not make a difference in other ways. Still no logging, still no IDs. Everything else is as it was before.

The other extensions are Bibsonomy, HTTPS everywhere, RSS icon in url bar, uBlock origin, and Unpaywall, fwiw.

If everything fails I'm inclined to downgrade to last week's versions of Zotero and Connector, when everything still worked fine for the time being. I heavily rely on Zotero...
  • Are you using any strict privacy/cookie settings in Firefox?
  • the small saving window disappears, but it does not make a difference in other ways
    What do you mean by this?
  • edited August 8, 2017
    I would try creating a new Firefox profile, installing the connector into that, and trying to save from that. That will tell you whether it's something in your Firefox profile that's breaking things.
  • This Firefox profile currently accepts all cookies.

So, I tried a fresh profile with Zotero being the only extension. Logging now works, but importing to Zotero also works...

"Your debug output has been submitted. The Debug ID is D1237701136."

"Your error report has been submitted. Report ID: 1374083953"

Hm. I might like to rebuild a profile, perhaps re-installing all extensions would work, but I would not like to lose all data from the original profile... so I'll downgrade for the time being in order to get back to work.

Thanks for your patience! I'll have another look at the thread tomorrow...
  • Have you by any chance changed dom.storage.enabled to false in the old profile?
  • Actually, pretty sure that's it. I can reproduce everything you're reporting with that disabled. I'm not sure why that affects extensions, but see https://github.com/zotero/zotero-connectors/issues/160#issuecomment-320441479 for a potential workaround if you intended for that to be off.
  • edited August 8, 2017
    No, dom.storage.enabled is set to true in the old profile. The only thing I can still say is that problems started around the end end of last week and over the weekend. I did not change anything in Firefox or in the other extensions. I realised that there were updates to Zotero and the connector, to no avail. — Really off now for today, sorry... ;)
  • OK, could be another setting (possibly changed by some extension at some point) or maybe corruption of the database used for local storage. In any case, good chance this is fixed in 5.0.17, available now.
  • I'm back. ;) Thanks for releasing 5.0.17 — which unfortunately does not solve the problem. :( I've tried the said version of the connector in Safari, and it works fine. So, I use Safari for the time being, and I'll try and create a new profile with at least most of the current settings in Firefox over the weekend... I'll keep following Zotero development on a daily basis.
  • edited August 14, 2017
    Well, so I have renamed my Firefox profile over the weekend and re-started from scratch, copying the old cookies etc. to the new one, and installing all extensions anew. I also checked whether there are any extensions making trouble, installing and testing them one by one, but I did not run into any problems. Neither did I edit about:config.

Anyway, Zotero works again on my Firefox 52.3.0 ESR, v 5.0.11 with Connector 5.0.17 under El Capitan.

Again, thanks for troubleshooting!