best way for historian to use Zotero for collected works?

What do you suggest is the best way to use the collected works of a historical figure you're studying? For e.g. I'm using 15 volumes of the Collected Works of LLR (CWLLR).

1) right now i just have one item stored in Zotero under that name. And every time i cite I add Vol 1, Vol 4 etc. Is that better or is it better to add all volumes as separate items?

2) As i have it now, how can i put all 15 volumes separately in my bibliography?

3) is there a way to add different items (speeches) of say, volume 1 in in the bibliography separately i.e 'Speech at University of Oxford', The Times, 12 May 1920, CWLLR, Vol 4. Or something?
  • Put each volume as a separate Book item. Give the book title for each as CWLLR and enter the volume number and number of volumes in the respective fields.

This will let you reference each volume separately in the bibliography.

To cite a specific speech from a volume, add it to your library as a Book Section item. I would enter 'Speech at University of Oxford', The Times, 12 May 1920 as the Title and also include the page numbers in the respective field.
  • Thanks for the prompt response! Will do that. Also, I dont know if you're the right person to ask but i thought ill try anyway -

1) if the journal I'm sending my article to requires the APA format, do you have any advice on how to cite the kind of speeches i mentioned above? should they be in-text (which makes it look unweildy!) or should the speeches come as separate sub-items as part of the bibliography at the end (under each volume)? :/
  • Also, unfortunately when i list each speech as a book item, the bibliography looks like this (a bit repetitive). is there a way around this? I cant put CWMG as a short title of course as that makes CWMG a substitute for 'Speech at Cambridge' when i cite that again - which of course i dont want. i hope this makes sense!

Gandhi, Mahatma. ‘Speech at Cambridge’. In The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Vol. 2. Delhi: Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, 1958.
    ———. ‘Speech at Essex’. In The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Vol. 5. Delhi: Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, 1958.
    ———. ‘Speech at Oxford’. In The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Vol. 1. Delhi: Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, 1958.
    ———. ‘Speech at Sussex’. In The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Vol. 15. Delhi: Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, 1958.
    ———. ‘Speech at Warwick’. In The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Vol. 5. Delhi: Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, 1958.
  • edited August 5, 2017
    What would you like it it to appear as? Also, what style are you using?

(I'm not exactly sure of the citation conventions in History, but the way you are citing it above is essentially what I would expect in psychology. So I need some guidance as to what you are looking for.)
  • Unfortunately, my manual doesn't help me much with regard to the kinds of sources I'm using ie. many many different speeches and articles from these 15 collected works.

The only problem with citing it as I have above is that it will become too long perhaps. say even 20 speeches from each volume = 15 x 20 = 300 references. Not sure. Also, it will repeat the 'The Collected Works, Vol 1.' bit 20 times? Unless I'm missing something?

For my thesis, I think be using Chicago style.
    But for a journal I'm submitting to I have to use APA (which makes things quite difficult as its an in-text format)!
  • I would perhaps look at an example article in the journal for how these sorts of things are cited. Otherwise, if you want to reduce the length of the bibliography, what I would recommend would be to cite each item just as the volume of the book, and include the title of the speech and/or page numbers as affixes to the reference.

But also, the length of the bibliography is basically inconsequential, so you could also just not worry about how repetitive the bibliography is.