Problem with italics in references imported from Papers

This discussion was created from comments split from: Bibliography Appears Without Italics.
  • edited August 5, 2017
    I am having this problem and the first item is NOT more than 50% italics. Not even 25% italics. Biologists need to italicize species names within an otherwise plain-face title. So this is a pretty big problem.

UPDATE: OK, html tags work. The issue is that I imported citations from a Papers library, and in this process all of the italized words became tagged with \emph, which does not work.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/rich_text_bibliography

Further update: the \emph gets added when exporting from Papers as .bib. When exporting as .ris then no tag at all gets added, so either way looks like a lot of hand-editing would be required to make this switch.
  • @skberke Please try to keep your comments in one thread. Even better, please start a new thread with a problem, as yours isn't really the same issue here at all.

The \emph{} tags you see in a .bib file are the BibTeX formatting for italics. To replace these with HTML tags, open the .bib file in a text editor that supports regular expressions (regex) and run a command to replace this pattern:
    (\\emph{)(.+)(})

with this pattern:
    \2

.RIS isn't a display format, so I'm guessing that Papers just doesn't export rich text data with it.

(Also, it is generally good to just ask your question when you come to a help forum, without a derisive tone. The users here are glad to help, but exasperated statements like "Really?" or "Good grief" aren't really necessary or helpful. If something seems like an unreasonable amount of work, there is probably an easier way to do it.)
  • Fair enough, my apologies. I edited my comment. Thank you for the helpful suggestion. You are correct that my issue is indeed unrelated, although I thought it was the same issue at first. Since it is not, I would happily delete my comment, but that doesn't seem to be an option, unless I have missed something?
  • Don’t worry about deleting the comment.

If you run into any other issues replacing the BibTeX markup with HTML or importing from papers to Zotero, let me know. Otherwise, always happy to help.