[Juris-M] - Indigo & Footnotes?

Hi there,

I'm new with Juris-M and I have a few questions:

1- Is is possible with JM Indigo style to use footnotes and, If so, how? As I'm writing an academic text, I need to use footnotes. This was possible with the old Zotero Bluebook style. I've downloaded the main JM Indigo style and it transformed all references into in-text citations... which I don't want...

2- The plugin for "v3.5.14m11 final" does not appear (see https://github.com/Juris-M/jurism-word-for-mac-integration/releases/tag/v3.5.14m11)

3- I previously used Zotero. I've now downloaded the Juris' Standalone, Word for Mac (plugin), and JM Indigo without deleting my old Zotero software. Is that okay?

Thanks so much,

Jonathan
  • edited August 2, 2017
    1) Download the JM Indigo Law Review style, which uses notes, rather than in-text citations. If the roman-type for titles rather than italics (see the description here: https://juris-m.github.io/downloads/) is a problem, you can open the JM Indigo .csl file and change "in-text" in the first line to "note". Then change the Style ID and Title a few lines below, save, and install into Juris-M. (Though Indigo Book strongly recommends using in-text citations rather than footnotes.)

2) Juris-M Standalone comes packaged with all of its required plugins (Word integration, Myles, etc.), so you don't need to install it manually. The only thing you need besides Juris-M is one of the browser connector plugins.

3). You should remove the Zotero Add-in from Word, just to avoid any possible conflicts between Juris-M and Zotero. But you can otherwise leave Zotero installed on your computer if you like.
  • Thanks so much -- you saved my life (literally)!

Regarding #3 - What problem(s) could potentially arise if I leave if there? And how can I take that away? If I do, can I reinstate it easily at a later date when working on another paper that uses Zotero?
  • I really don’t know what conflicts might arise. Nothing disastrous would happen, but it might be possible for the two programs to get confused if they were both open or if you clicked each others’ add-in buttons. If you keep one or the other closed and make sure to use the correct add-in, you should be fine.

Though, if you’ve switched to Juris-M, there is no reason you couldn’t just continue to use it for all your projects.
  • I really don’t know what conflicts might arise. Nothing disastrous would happen, but it might be possible for the two programs to get confused if they were both open or if you clicked each others’ add-in buttons.
    I don't know either, but maybe @fbennett can say something about this?
  • The advice is all good. It's fine to have Zotero and Juris-M installed on the same system. If they are synced to the same account, they can shared data, but only one should be activated at any one time. The Juris-M and Zotero browser plugins will speak only to their respective clients, but the word processor plugins would get confused, so the one you don't need should be stopped/disabled.
  • edited August 4, 2017
    You can disable plugins by clicking the “Word Add-Ins” button in the Developer tab in Word.

EDIT: (And, actually, now that I check, the button to look in is "Word Add-ins", not "Add-ins", which happens to be right next to it...)
  • @bwiernik That's a new one to me. Would that disable the macro code inside Word?
  • Yes, that is exactly what it does. (And, actually, now that I check, the button to look in is "Word Add-ins", not "Add-ins", which happens to be right next to it...)
  • The macro code is the same for Zotero and Juris-M, so you probably wouldn't want to disable it.
  • Does Juris-M use the same Zotero.dotm template as Zotero?
  • Can I disable the Zotero plugins in Word even without the Developer tab?

I collected with Zotero a database that I'm now using with Juris M and I'm getting a weird message: Source folder not valid... change source folder..."

But I don't know how to fix this problem..?
  • The Add-in being in Word versus not is entirely controlled by Word. To disable it, either remove the Zotero or Juris-M .dotm template from the Word startup folder or (easier to do, and better if you ever might switch back) disable in the Developer tab. If you don't see a Developer tab in Word, you can enable with these instructions:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Show-the-Developer-tab-in-Word-2016-for-Mac-0c0778a2-fa91-4b75-9164-0685ae00e9b4

That message you are receiving from the Zotfile plugin. In the Zotfile preferences, choose a folder as a "source" folder, where Zotfile will look if you use its "Attach new file" feature. You might, for example, use your default browser downloads folder.
  • Thanks!

1) In the Developer tab, I see only the "Zotero.dot" Add-ins... no Juris-M one, even though I downloaded that plugin too...

2) I don't understand your 2nd point. Here's where I'm at: Juris-M → Preference → Advanced → Files and Folders. Then I can choose a base or data directory (which one?). In any case, I have no idea which folder to choose there...

Best,

Jonathan
  • 1) Ah, apparently Juris-M also calls its Word plugin "zotero.dot". In that case, it would have overridden the Zotero version when it installed. So don't worry about disabling the Zotero one.

2) Not Juris-M preferences. Zotfile preferences. These are under Tools -> Zotfile Preferences or Tools -> Add-ins -> Zotfile Preferences
  • edited August 30, 2017
    actually new installs of juris-m standalone won't come with the mac plugin, since the xpi is missing. If you have an old version the update will fail, but continue to use the old plugin. Small correction there is a version of the plugin under add ons on Standalone, but it fails to connect to my word install.
  • (A note for those who hit this thread that Juris-M v5.0.35 covers this issue.)