Zotero 5-The attach file couldn't be found in My Library

Hi,
There were lots of files in "My Library" after Zotero 5, all attach file I got error "The attach file couldn't be found"
Where are all my attachments?
The Debug ID is D221860388
  • Hi,
    All the files are on we zotero.org.
  • Are you syncing to a new computer or is this the computer where you upgraded from Zotero 4 to 5?
  • I formatted my computer then I installed Zotero 5
  • (It will be really helpful if you write more detailed answers that say exactly what you did in detail and what is currently happening, rather than just a few words. )

So, you are now syncing down your library in a freshly-installed empty Zotero 5? If so, what is probably happening is that you have many PDF files that just haven't finished downloading. Once these finish downloading, the error message will stop showing up. Alternatively, you can change Zotero's sync settings to Download Attachment Files "As Needed", which will only download an attachment when you try to open it. With that option enabled, when you try to open an attachment, it will trigger a download immediately and open.
  • Hi,
    I know all your response.
    The sync finished and I cannot open my attachment of all my library files. The setting is at sync time so I should download all my files from the web to my desktop? What is the problem? I see all my files on the web but they cannot be downloaded.
  • Do a Reset File Sync History from the Sync -> Reset pane of the Zotero preferences (don't use the other option) and see if that helps.

(This shouldn't be necessary normally, of course.)
  • It didn't work.
  • OK, then see the end of Files Not Syncing:
    If you've performed all these steps, see the file on the server, and still can't access the file on Computer B, then go to the Sync→Reset pane of the Zotero preferences on Computer B, choose Reset File Sync History, generate a Debug ID for the next sync attempt and an attempt to open the file, and post the Debug ID to the forums. Do not use the other options in the Reset pane.
  • The Debug ID is D386874243.
  • Hi,
    Could anyone help me? I need attachments of my library urgently.
    Thank you
  • Shut I uninstall Zotero 5 and reinstall it? @dstillman
  • edited August 3, 2017
    @umitgunes No, do not reinstall Zotero. That will not help.

Please follow Dan's instructions just above:
    If you've performed all these steps, see the file on the server, and still can't access the file on Computer B, then go to the Sync→Reset pane of the Zotero preferences on Computer B, choose Reset File Sync History, generate a Debug ID for the next sync attempt and an attempt to open the file, and post the Debug ID to the forums. Do not use the other options in the Reset pane.
  • Hi,
    I already did Dan's instructions and wrote you that the debug ID is D386874243.
  • Okay, then please be patient while Dan gets an opportunity to review the Debug log and get back to you. Reinstalling Zotero won't help and may make it more difficult to resolve your issue.
  • Yeah, it looks like there's a bug here. If you have another synced computer, adding and syncing a file on that one might trigger these downloads. Otherwise, switch this to "as needed" for the moment, and we'll try to have a fix shortly.
  • Hi,
    Yes, when I switch it " as needed" I can download but when switch "at sync time" the problem again occurred.
    So how can I download my all 357 files?
    Thank you
  • edited August 4, 2017
    Like Dan says above, there appears to be a bug that will be fixed soon. In the mean time, you can try to add a file from a different computer, then sync onto this computer (with “At Sync Time” enables), which may trigger the downloads. Otherwise, set the setting to “As Needed” and then quickly open each file to download them once, then switch back to “At Sync Time”. Lastly, you could just stick with “As Needed” for now until the the bug is fixed.
  • Hi,
    I have not a different computer.
    Secondly, I have more than 900 files in My Library. It is horrible click all of them one by one. I tried but I cannot do that because after clicking all files open. That's horrible.
  • You could also add a new attachment file via the web interface on Zotero.org. Otherwise, as I said above, you can just work with the “As Needed” setting and download the files as needed until the bug Dan mentions is fixed.
  • Hi,
    I uploaded and file then I switched it to at sync time. Then it started to download.
    Now the problem is solved but the bug should be fixed for all other users.
    Thank you
  • Glad it's working for you. Don't worry, this is definitely a bug that will be fixed in the near future.
  • This should be fixed in the latest beta, 5.0.11-beta.1.
  • I m afraid I have a similar problem. I just reinstalled Windows 10 and Zotero on a laptop and i get all the library entries except the PDF attachments. Out of about 3000 entries I see about 500 attachements.
    The message said something that you cannot start a task within another task
    This is the ID of the debugging request: 913892865
    Thanks! Should I try the 5.0.11beta version?
  • @imuntean@gmail.com: You can try the beta, but in your case you're actually getting various errors. If you continue to get errors in the beta (or 5.0.11 if you want to wait a few days for the release version), we'd want to see a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produced an error.
  • Dan, I will wait and see what is going on. I can in meantime work around the bug with the "as needed option". I wanted to be sure i did not set something wrongly. Thanks for your amazing work and your quick answer!
  • Hi,
    Thank you,
    When 5.0.11 will be released?
    Thank you
  • 5.0.11 is available now via Help -> Check for Updates.
  • Hi,
    Thank you very much @dstillman
    I see the update but it is better to show the percentage. Now we can just see the remaining files but what is the percentage of the remaining files?
    For example, you can show 21/25 remaining or 21(25%) remaining
    Thank you
  • The files are all different sizes — and for technical and performance reasons we no longer try to calculate the total file size — so there's no real point to showing a percentage. These are also specific to the currently syncing library, and there might be additional libraries after, so I think a percentage makes even less sense. Note that that remaining-files is the same approach used by, e.g., Dropbox.
  • Hi,
    I don't mean the size @dstillman. I mean the number of the files synced and remaining and that makes me the percentage. Note that Google Drive and One Drive also use my approach.
    Best,